Has anyone tried NPD 100 octane ?

Started by schattenblau, September 11, 2018, 11:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Naekyr

They should open up in Auckland, most of the stations around here are selling 95 or 98 mixed with ethanol or otherwise super overpriced BP's 98

I'd like to get a 100 octane tune too

brian

Quote from: Naekyr on September 11, 2018, 12:05:11 PM
They should open up in Auckland, most of the stations around here are selling 95 or 98 mixed with ethanol or otherwise super overpriced BP's 98

I think Mobil 98 is ethanol free and here at least, is about 25-30 cents cheaper than BP and a bit more expensive than Gull.
Gaspy for today is:  Gull 222.7,  Mobil 225.9,   BP 254.9
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

dummer

Can anyone tell the difference of BP / Mobil.........other than the price

the phantom

Mobil 98 used to have ethanol (10% I think),but they're now silent on that front
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

brian

Quote from: the phantom on September 13, 2018, 07:31:55 PM
Mobil 98 used to have ethanol (10% I think),but they're now silent on that front

I just checked their msds and you are right, 10% ethanol.
Absolutely nothing on the general site, I had to search for this. Not such a bargain after all compared with BP.
I'm currently on BP which I filled up on in Warkworth and returned better mpg on the home trip than going there on Mobil.
Might have to drive the extra 700 meters to BP for my next fill.

ERRRNO

I have friends in Christchurch who are using the NPD100 and don't really notice much of a difference other than maybe a placebo effect on fuel economy.

The real benefit comes along that we can now tune for the higher octane and effectively run closer to the edge....
Black 3door Mk4 TDI - Elite Motorsport Hyper miler
Tornado Red Mk5 2.0 TFSI Variant - Elite Motorsport Stage 2
White Mk6 GTI DSG - Elite Motorsport Stage 1

McDoof

Quote from: brian on September 13, 2018, 07:58:28 PM
I just checked their msds and you are right, 10% ethanol.
Absolutely nothing on the general site, I had to search for this. Not such a bargain after all compared with BP.
I'm currently on BP which I filled up on in Warkworth and returned better mpg on the home trip than going there on Mobil.
Might have to drive the extra 700 meters to BP for my next fill.

I just read the MSDS for Mobil unleaded fuels and it only mentions that Composition may contain up to 0.5% performance additives or dyes which may include ethanol among a raft other things
They do have a separate MSDS for Ethanol blended fuels and it has a bit in there for E10 Supreme+ which does contain 10% ethanol.
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

brian

Appears as though BP are the only ones selling unadulterated 98

McDoof

Mobil is fine unless you buy the E10 branded stuff.
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

Alittletuningco

Is it actually 100 Octane? Or 100RON? They are very different in terms of measurements.

100 Octane is effectively Ethanol (E85 is 96 Octane, 102 RON).

Our stage 2 is specc'ed for 98RON (95 Octane) and BP are the only suppliers we would use in NZ as their fuel is the least messed with.

schattenblau

octane is simply the standard measure of a fuel's resistance to knocking.

the difference you are alluding to is the way octane is measured, RON, MON etc.

europe, aus, nz use RON

us uses an average of RON and MON

it would be interesting to know where npd source their 100 from.

brian

Finally arrived in New Plymouth...........quite normal for us to be a bit behind the play here

Brett

Taking the long route home tonight via Wiri to fill up with NPD100. Likely no gain at all but interested to give it a whirl and check mileage vs Gull
Previous:MKIII Golf GL, MKIV Golf GTI, E36 325i, E36 323i, B5 S4 sedan, C32 AMG, B5 S4 avant, BMW 740iL, MKV Golf Gti 2dr.

Current:
Company car
Weekend toy-2007 Golf Gti Edition 30

Pristle

Their website says they "opening soon", rather than "open". It might pay to wait?

Brett

Quote from: Pristle on June 11, 2021, 12:39:12 PM
Their website says they "opening soon", rather than "open". It might pay to wait?
Plastered all over Facebook of people trying it in Wiri so I feel pretty safe it'll be open. Website must have not been updated yet
Previous:MKIII Golf GL, MKIV Golf GTI, E36 325i, E36 323i, B5 S4 sedan, C32 AMG, B5 S4 avant, BMW 740iL, MKV Golf Gti 2dr.

Current:
Company car
Weekend toy-2007 Golf Gti Edition 30

le mans

I usually drive by that location on the way home from work. Will check it out some time. What?s price of the 100?

brian

Quote from: le mans on June 11, 2021, 07:05:29 PM
I usually drive by that location on the way home from work. Will check it out some time. What?s price of the 100?
Cheaper than Mobil 98;  I paid ?2.316  v  $2.469 (that is my local price)
Bugger, should have filled up today....Gaspy is showing it is currently 2.266

le mans

$2.40.6 at wiri according to Gaspy. Gotta love the regional fuel tax. 17c/L less than my local BP/Mobil excluding any discounting and 15c/L more than my local gull (all 98 prices). Seems fair given no ethanol in the NPD 100.