Has anyone tried NPD 100 octane ?

Started by schattenblau, September 11, 2018, 11:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pristle

Actually came past there on Friday arvo, must've been having a special, $2.306/l for the 100, with 91 going for $2.036/l.

My initial thoughts, smoother delivery. Fewer pops and misfires sitting in traffic, no flat spotting on pull off. Something I've been experiencing of late with Gull.

Certain it's my imagination, the coming week will tell, but consumption on the MFA says it's better.

RS

I had a mate telling me all about this last week, he was saying he could feel the difference.

I can only dream of being able to feel the difference 2 octane points make. I recon with that level of sensitivity I would also be able to understand why my wife is angry with me 20% of the time.

Alas. Ignorance will forever haunt me.

Great move from the company selling it though, I recon there are many "petrol heads" out there that will love it.

Pristle

Ignorance be damned.

Excellent move for sure. The bit I like is an ethanol free alternative at Gull like pricing to BP and to a lesser extent Mobil.

Worms

I dunno about 98 to 100, but I can 100% feel the difference between 95 and 98 in my R32 powered Touran.

More low end, and the very slight bogging due to timing retardation at very low RPM disappears entirely, even in hot weather.

Gordo

Quote from: Alittletuningco on September 14, 2018, 11:19:42 AM
Is it actually 100 Octane? Or 100RON? They are very different in terms of measurements.

100 Octane is effectively Ethanol (E85 is 96 Octane, 102 RON).

Our stage 2 is specc'ed for 98RON (95 Octane) and BP are the only suppliers we would use in NZ as their fuel is the least messed with.

Uh, I think you're confusing RON which most British colonies use, and the American rating which averages the RON and MON.

RON is Research Octane Number, which is established by a chemical analysis of the fuel, and MON is Motor Octane Number, where a specially designed engine with variable compression is used to physically test the fuel under precise conditions to establish it's knock resistance.

Because the two base standards, US and UK, don't track equally for different fuels, one has to be careful about making direct comparisons.
These are my thoughts and opinions - sometimes I'm wrong, but not often ;-)

RS

Ron and Mon sound like a delightful couple.

I know when I was in Europe/UK you could buy 100+Octane at the pump, but at the cost of fuel over there I didn't bother, even if I knew I was missing out on potentially 2hp.

I can only assume European grade fuel is measured the same as ours?

Quote from: Worms on June 15, 2021, 06:33:30 PM
I dunno about 98 to 100, but I can 100% feel the difference between 95 and 98 in my R32 powered Touran.

More low end, and the very slight bogging due to timing retardation at very low RPM disappears entirely, even in hot weather.

I would say a RB26 Touran would be awesome on 100, that what they run in Japan and generally if something is JDM it is way faster.

RS ZWEI

Quote from: RS on June 18, 2021, 01:23:45 PM

Ron and Mon sound like a delightful couple.

I know when I was in Europe/UK you could buy 100+Octane at the pump, but at the cost of fuel over there I didn't bother, even if I knew I was missing out on potentially 2hp.

I can only assume European grade fuel is measured the same as ours?

I would say a RB26 Touran would be awesome on 100, that what they run in Japan and generally if something is JDM it is way faster.

R32 engine, not an RB engine ;)
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

Long Black

Been running my Audi A4 and now S4 and Golf GTI on it in the South Island for a year or so now. I feel more throttle response and better economy on the open road. Overall better for the engine I think
1999 B5 VW Passat V6 Syncro Wagon - Black...gone
2007 B7 Audi A4 S-line Avant Quattro 2.0T - Black...gone
2011 B8 Audi A4 S-line Avant Quattro 2.0T - White..Gone
2008 Mk5 VW Golf GTI - Black
2012 B8 Audi S4 Avant - Brilliant Red