A3 AUDI rear brakes?

Started by Gordo, September 19, 2018, 06:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordo

Got to replace the rear discs and pads on my sisters A3 wagon, 1.6 litre automatic and I think it's around 10 years old, anything special to watch out for and/or recommendations for best place to get the parts? I have a 25-30% discount at Repco, so if there isn't any issues there, will probably use them, but open for better options.
Oh, West Auckland, but can pick up anywhere in the Auckland area if price and quality is good.

Also, if anyone has a (cheap) haynes, or similar, manual for sale for same, would probably be interested.

Thanks.
These are my thoughts and opinions - sometimes I'm wrong, but not often ;-)

Worms

Do you have a tool for winding the caliper pistons in? There are chinesium ones on trademe for about $30.

Measure the disc size before going in for pads - there are several different disc sizes, *some* of which use the same pads as others.

dummer

Does this one need stubby triple square?

Gordo

I don't know yet - I do have some assorted M & F triple square drives/sockets from other things - any idea what size?

The Red Warrior

Quote from: Gordo on September 21, 2018, 07:59:16 PM
I don't know yet - I do have some assorted M & F triple square drives/sockets from other things - any idea what size?
If it?s the same as mk5 golfs, then probably M14 triple square

Gordo

Well, seems there are 4 discs listed and three pads... will have to drive over and check in the next few days.
My triple square drives only go to 12mm but a full windback kit is around $140 with discount, so getting that as it will do for most other cars as well.
Tracked down the last manual for the car in NZ, so also getting that.

dummer

if you getting M14, try get one which does not have a round shaft so you can use a spanner on it if necessary.
Also make sure your jack can jack the car high enough for clearance underneath it for torque wrench.

Worms

Quote from: Gordo on September 25, 2018, 07:58:21 PM
a full windback kit is around $140 with discount, so getting that as it will do for most other cars as well.

err... https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1777991647 $29.95 plus freight - I haven't used it yet... but it looks OK. I only have 2 cars that have pretty much the same rear cailpers anyway  ;D

dummer

Quote from: Worms on September 26, 2018, 06:45:52 PM
err... https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1777991647 $29.95 plus freight - I haven't used it yet... but it looks OK. I only have 2 cars that have pretty much the same rear cailpers anyway  ;D
I had a set of those, the pitch of the screw is too step( means you have to tighten it every few turns) but for $30, it's a bargin

Gordo

Doesn't seem to have what I think of as a 14mm triple square drive?
I'm thinking of just getting a (3/8") driver, if that is confirmed as what is required - heck, haven't checked with the car yet...

ranton-inc

Quote from: Worms on September 19, 2018, 07:04:00 PM
Do you have a tool for winding the caliper pistons in? There are chinesium ones on trademe for about $30.

Measure the disc size before going in for pads - there are several different disc sizes, *some* of which use the same pads as others.

I prefer an F clamp and some vice grips

dummer

Gordo

Quote from: ziptie.nz on September 27, 2018, 07:13:21 AM
I prefer an F clamp and some vice grips

Are you still talking about brakes?

Gordo

Had the brakes partially disassmbled and the BiL waiting and the "this will do the job" tool wasn't - so had to buy the correct tool from Repco... that was identical to the TM tool but a LOT more expensive... but I couldn't wait :-(
The tool worked perfectly well, like a piece of the proverbial off a shovel, though - shame anything I own has an internal drum, in the rear disc, for the handbrake.!