Ceramic coating options

Started by dummer, September 25, 2018, 03:00:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dummer

Since my new job have to park my car on rooftop, I am thinking of getting the car ceramic coated.

After reading on detailing world, ceramic pro seems to be a good product but many people to go OCD. Not sure who to go (or any other suggestions)

Naekyr

While I can't be 100% certain, I think in general these products are pretty similar as it comes down to how well the stuff is applied and how many layers are done

OCD is rather expensive and the cost is not that far off from just getting the car wrapped or fitting protection films etc

Ceramic pro will probably be a little cheaper, but either should be fine if the workmanship is good

However I can say you will save a crapload of money if you have the tools and can do the job yourself as the products required are not expensive, nor is the tools

TL:DR you should be happy with either company's products

Slightly off topic but related: Car sales people can be so unknowledgeable but try to act like they know everything and the customer is stupid... the amount of sales people that have tried to tell me that when the polished the car they did not remove the ceramic coating because it's a "lifetime coating"... instant facepalm

schattenblau

^ +1

also make sure your paintwork is in excellent condition before applying these coatings.

and cc will not prevent paint damage or obviate the need for regular maintenance.

:laugh:

dummer

Didn't realise the cost is close to getting the car wrap... :o

All I want is some protection on the paint for the coming hot summer (car is black)

Now my second question is then who would you recommend for a car wrap?

Brett

Previous:MKIII Golf GL, MKIV Golf GTI, E36 325i, E36 323i, B5 S4 sedan, C32 AMG, B5 S4 avant, BMW 740iL, MKV Golf Gti 2dr.

Current:
Company car
Weekend toy-2007 Golf Gti Edition 30

ranton-inc

Quote from: dummer on September 26, 2018, 03:16:32 PM
Didn't realise the cost is close to getting the car wrap... :o

All I want is some protection on the paint for the coming hot summer (car is black)

Now my second question is then who would you recommend for a car wrap?

The Wrap Shop Barrys Point Road Takapuna

Brett

Previous:MKIII Golf GL, MKIV Golf GTI, E36 325i, E36 323i, B5 S4 sedan, C32 AMG, B5 S4 avant, BMW 740iL, MKV Golf Gti 2dr.

Current:
Company car
Weekend toy-2007 Golf Gti Edition 30

Poonmobile

what are you trying to protect? Just the roof and bonnet or the whole car from the elements?

I have had 2 of my cars ceramic coated, and would do it again. My RS has now been coated for 3 years and still works well, however on areas where it has had a lot of contamination, bonnet, roof and back of the car, the water repellency has suffered. But a coat of wax every now and then doesn't hurt. It cost me @$1300 all up including a stage 4 paint correction/polish. So way cheaper than wrapping your whole car.
Current:
06 NZ B7 RS4 Avus Silver, 01 NZ B5 RS4 Avus Silver, 93 NZ VR6 Tornado Red 3dr, Renault Clio 172 & Renault Clio 197
Past:
MK2 VR6, MK5 GTI, 2 x MK5 R32, 8L S3 Imola, MK4 Golf V6 4MO, Polo GTI, 2x MK3 VR6, D2 S8, B5 S4 Avant, 03 NZ R32 Deep Blue Pearl, Renault Megane R26 liquid yello

Naekyr

Yeah that's a pretty good price, go for it at that - wrapping is about 4 to 5k

For the repellency, normally after the coating they'll either give it to you or recommend you buy a io2 sealant from them which will "top up" the areas where the coating starts to come off over time - you'd just use it like once every couple months and it keeps the coating in tip top condition - very easy to apply, couple sprays into a microfibre cloth and gently buff it on the paint

I use this every second month or so after washing to keep the coating in good condition: http://gyeonquartz.com/product/cure/

dummer

Quote from: Poonmobile on October 03, 2018, 11:20:38 PM
what are you trying to protect? Just the roof and bonnet or the whole car from the elements?
Pretty much the whole car.
new job park at roof top surrounded by dusty gravel car park all around.
windy and dusty enough for the brake disc to go fully rusted when I pick the car after work. If the rain is not heavy, you can see sand all over the car too.

Quote from: Naekyr on October 04, 2018, 08:34:52 AM
Yeah that's a pretty good price, go for it at that - wrapping is about 4 to 5k
Yeah... even with polish before hand it's still half price

Where did you get yours done?

Poonmobile

Quote from: dummer on October 04, 2018, 03:01:15 PM
Pretty much the whole car.
new job park at roof top surrounded by dusty gravel car park all around.
windy and dusty enough for the brake disc to go fully rusted when I pick the car after work. If the rain is not heavy, you can see sand all over the car too.
Yeah... even with polish before hand it's still half price

Where did you get yours done?

I have used OCD and Final touch, both are great. So it depends on convenience and pricing. Both offer good rates for VASK members if you mention it. As long as you keep it 'topped up' with a detailer, light wax or sealant you will get some good life out of a ceramic coating. Especially in a situation such as yours.
Current:
06 NZ B7 RS4 Avus Silver, 01 NZ B5 RS4 Avus Silver, 93 NZ VR6 Tornado Red 3dr, Renault Clio 172 & Renault Clio 197
Past:
MK2 VR6, MK5 GTI, 2 x MK5 R32, 8L S3 Imola, MK4 Golf V6 4MO, Polo GTI, 2x MK3 VR6, D2 S8, B5 S4 Avant, 03 NZ R32 Deep Blue Pearl, Renault Megane R26 liquid yello

heylinb4nz

Or just a high quality polymer based was like Meguiars Ultimate wax and top with Fast Finish. My TT has been outside on work days 5 days a week for 2+ years, recently been outside for 3 months straight on a contract role. Warranted it's silver but still looks showroom. My main concern would be black plastic trim, rubber and tyres, bit of 303 protectant should be on your radar.