Any oil gurus out there?

Started by deedub, September 27, 2018, 02:16:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deedub

For my Passat R36, I saw that Castrol Edge 5w-30 is the recommended oil. I happened to see some on sale so I ordered it without thinking too much about whether there are different variants. I noticed that the oil that arrived is Edge 5w-30 SN. Curious about what the 'SN' part means, I investigated to find that the VW 504 approved "Edge 5w-30" is either ACEA C3 or "Edge 5w-30 A3/B4" which is ACEA A3/B4 for VW 502 (and is API SF).

Now the oil that arrived is ACEA A5/B5. My understanding is that this is a long life oil so probably in line with VW 504, but it is also low-viscosity. Whether that is OK in VW engines, I am really not sure ...

I can return it and exchange for "Edge 5w-40 SN" which is ACEA A3/B4 and VW 502 approved. I would rather run an approved (or equivalent) 5w-30 though. Any thoughts?

1983 T25 Microbus - keep forever, never finish
1988 mk2 Golf 2L 16v - work in progress

johnp

I think the ACEA C xx is for diesel oil rating?

Gordo

5W-30 is 5W-30 - the viscosity is the same, but there may be a different additive pack used.
TBH, with regular oil and filter changes I wouldn't worry about it, especially as normally the higher the number (or letter) the later and higher the oil standard.
These are my thoughts and opinions - sometimes I'm wrong, but not often ;-)

dummer

Naekyr

the VW approved stuff is usually "long life" - but tbh I wouldn't bother non long life is perfectly fine, I just change oil 6 monthly anyway

deedub

Thank you for the comments guys. I did some more research...

Quote from: johnp on September 27, 2018, 07:13:37 PM
I think the ACEA C xx is for diesel oil rating?

You're probably correct. One of the Castrol 502 approved oils is C3 rated, so maybe it's a Castrol diesel oil that happens to meet the 502 spec.

Quote from: Gordo on September 27, 2018, 10:05:20 PM
5W-30 is 5W-30 - the viscosity is the same, but there may be a different additive pack used.
TBH, with regular oil and filter changes I wouldn't worry about it, especially as normally the higher the number (or letter) the later and higher the oil standard.

This is incorrect. SAE 5w30 does not indicate specifications such as the HTHS. So, ACEA A5/B5 oils, even with the same SAE viscosity, are designed for reduced fuel consumption in engines that can handle a low High Temperature High Shear viscosity.
Therefore, engines designed around the A3/B4 specification could be subjected to accelerated wear. In this case, higher numbers indicate a more modern specification but certainly not a higher standard. A5/B5 replaces A1/B1 I believe, but is not from the same series as A3/B4.

I couldn't find any reference to whether the VW 502 or 504 spec mandates a higher HSTS than the A5/B5 specification allows. I got in touch with Castrol who told me strictly not to use their A5/B5 oil in any VW motor that is not designed around the VW 508 or 509 spec, which the R36's BWS is not, apparently. So I returned the oil and got the Edge 5w-40 which meets A3/B4.

Quote from: Naekyr on September 28, 2018, 11:53:45 AM
the VW approved stuff is usually "long life" - but tbh I wouldn't bother non long life is perfectly fine, I just change oil 6 monthly anyway

I'm also not concerned about long life, but I want to make sure the oil I use is going to offer enough viscosity to protect the engine - esp. since the R36 engine runs pretty high oil temperatures.
1983 T25 Microbus - keep forever, never finish
1988 mk2 Golf 2L 16v - work in progress

Gordo

I stand corrected, although the viscosity and additive pack comments were right, the latter is rather more significant than I gave it credit for -

"ACEA A3/B4 Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil intended for use in Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & DI Diesel Engines, but also suitable for applications described under A3/B3.

ACEA A5/B5 Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil intended for use at extended Drain Intervals in Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & Diesel Engines designed to be capable of using Low Viscosity Oils with HTHS Viscosity of 2.9 to 3.5 mPa*s. These Oils are unsuitable for use in certain Engines - consult vehicle-OEM?s owner?s manual/handbook in case of doubt."

Full article - https://www.oilspecifications.org/acea.php
These are my thoughts and opinions - sometimes I'm wrong, but not often ;-)

heylinb4nz

I've been using Penrite Eviro+ 5W30 which has the VW approval rating. Usually pick up for $84 for 5L at Repco when on special.