ABS Module issues

Started by Long Black, October 06, 2018, 09:25:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Long Black

On a long trip this week in my Mk 5 GTi the ABS, EPS and handbrake warning lights all came up on the dash..with the latter flashing. Pulled over turned engine off. Restarted and it cleared. Went to a VW dealership and was informed that there is a recall in place for some VWs. Apparently the ABS module needs a software update which takes about half an hour. It happened several times afterwards, yet I drove 450km yesterday and it didn't happen. Obviously, intermittent. has anyone else had this issue and aware of the recall?
1999 B5 VW Passat V6 Syncro Wagon - Black...gone
2007 B7 Audi A4 S-line Avant Quattro 2.0T - Black...gone
2011 B8 Audi A4 S-line Avant Quattro 2.0T - White..Gone
2008 Mk5 VW Golf GTI - Black
2012 B8 Audi S4 Avant - Brilliant Red

GLIDN

yes its a common issue with 2007-2008 golfs. Mainly the Pirelli edition.
Software update does not always fix the issue, it could very well be the ABS module that's faulty.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

Naekyr

Happens on the Audi A3's from this era too, happened to a friend's A3 but their car would intermittently go into into limp home mode, eventually they replaced the module which fixed the issue then sold the car

Naekyr

GLIDN, please clear your inbox lol  ;D ;D

BINKZ

Yes had my ABS module replaced for free under recall. MK5 GTI Pirelli.
"Where must we go, we who wander this wasteland, in search of our better selves." - The First History of Man

GLIDN

Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

NZGTI

Quote from: Long Black on October 06, 2018, 09:25:14 AM
On a long trip this week in my Mk 5 GTi the ABS, EPS and handbrake warning lights all came up on the dash..with the latter flashing. Pulled over turned engine off. Restarted and it cleared. Went to a VW dealership and was informed that there is a recall in place for some VWs. Apparently the ABS module needs a software update which takes about half an hour. It happened several times afterwards, yet I drove 450km yesterday and it didn't happen. Obviously, intermittent. has anyone else had this issue and aware of the recall?

Hi There Long Black...... did you get to the bottom of this?.... Min is displaying thge exact same symptoms
2015 Golf 1.4 TSi
2006 Touran 2.0
2006 Golf GTI...gone
2007 Touran 1.4 TSi Stage 1...gone
2003 Passat v5...gone
1999 Golf GTi...gone
1990 Corrado x2...gone
1984 Golf GTi...gone

Long Black

The car is booked in for a recall check at Miles Continental in Christchurch later this month. The issue is part of a recall. I would go to your local VW dealership and explain the issue. They should have a Reference number from VAG relating to the recall on the ABS module. Evidently it needs a remap. I'll update you after the dealership has had a look. It only relates to certain models of Mk5 Golfs as far as I'm aware.
1999 B5 VW Passat V6 Syncro Wagon - Black...gone
2007 B7 Audi A4 S-line Avant Quattro 2.0T - Black...gone
2011 B8 Audi A4 S-line Avant Quattro 2.0T - White..Gone
2008 Mk5 VW Golf GTI - Black
2012 B8 Audi S4 Avant - Brilliant Red

BINKZ

Quote from: Long Black on January 02, 2019, 10:32:04 AM
The car is booked in for a recall check at Miles Continental in Christchurch later this month. The issue is part of a recall. I would go to your local VW dealership and explain the issue. They should have a Reference number from VAG relating to the recall on the ABS module. Evidently it needs a remap. I'll update you after the dealership has had a look. It only relates to certain models of Mk5 Golfs as far as I'm aware.

This. I recently had the module replaced on my 2008 Pirelli Edition at the expense of the dealership.
"Where must we go, we who wander this wasteland, in search of our better selves." - The First History of Man

ODB

Hi Long Black,

I had same issue with my ABS module on 2009 mk5.

Ended up replacing the module with a second hand one which saved me about $2500 if that helps any!  I took mine to Dubworld.