B5 A5 1.8T ECU Tune?

Started by KiwiRider, October 07, 2018, 12:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KiwiRider

Hi fellas,

I picked up a 2000 A4 1.8TQS Avant a month or so ago and have been doing ridiculous amounts of reading and learning about it.
Now I'm looking to get an ECU Tune but I'm not sure where in Christchurch or the surrounding area I should go?
Car came with a 2.5" catback exhaust, FMIC and upgraded clutch with single mass flywheel. I have ordered a high flow cat, should be here in a week *very excited!*
Does anyone have a good estimate of how much power I should be able to make with a decent tune? Stock power is 177Hp and 235Nm (engine code AJL, based on AEB), I believe most stage 1 tunes on stock cars make somewhere in the realm of 200Hp and 290Nm.
Would it be a good idea to get a 710N DV from an TT225?

Also, I have a guy at TurboCare Christchurch selling JRone K04's for $870 new. I have considered getting one as that is an unbeatable price, but I don't know how much I can trust one of those turbo's. Any advice or experience with them? Would look at a bigger turbo (GTRS) but the prices from the US with the current exchange rate make my wallet cry...

Thanks for your help! Can't wait to start working on it  ;D

le mans

Hey man, welcome along. As far as I know these B5s need a physical chip change in order to be tuned. They also have the cable throttle control. As a general rule stage 1 (chip only) is around 190hp, stage 2 (full exhaust and chip) around 210hp. The sky?s the limit as far as further mods go but you want to keep in mind the application and exponential cost increase as you go up in HP.  K04 would be pretty sweet for a daily driver. As far as turbo manufacturers go I think you generally get what you pay for. A genguine K04 is under $2k NZD available through local supplier of 034 stuff - alittletuningco.nz
I personally would pay the extra.

le mans

Oh yeah a 710n or p or whatever the latest iteration is would be a good idea. They are easy to test though. Remove, depress the spring and put your finger over the nipple. If it?s leaking the spring will return the diaphragm to the original position. I?m running a 710a or similar in my RS2 and it?s fine.

GLIDN

I'm able to assist with the tuning side of things if you like?
Send me a PM, I'll need more specific information from your vehicle to be able to better assist you and provide you a solution.

Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

GLIDN

Quote from: le mans on October 07, 2018, 05:49:42 PM
Hey man, welcome along. As far as I know these B5s need a physical chip change in order to be tuned. They also have the cable throttle control. As a general rule stage 1 (chip only) is around 190hp, stage 2 (full exhaust and chip) around 210hp. The sky’s the limit as far as further mods go but you want to keep in mind the application and exponential cost increase as you go up in HP.  K04 would be pretty sweet for a daily driver. As far as turbo manufacturers go I think you generally get what you pay for. A genguine K04 is under $2k NZD available through local supplier of 034 stuff - alittletuningco.nz

great information provided there Le Mans, not all B5 ECU's are in need of a chip + riser board. Many can be tuned over the stock eeprom.
in some instances over the OBD port also.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

KiwiRider

Quote from: le mans on October 07, 2018, 05:49:42 PM
Hey man, welcome along. As far as I know these B5s need a physical chip change in order to be tuned. They also have the cable throttle control. As a general rule stage 1 (chip only) is around 190hp, stage 2 (full exhaust and chip) around 210hp. The sky?s the limit as far as further mods go but you want to keep in mind the application and exponential cost increase as you go up in HP.  K04 would be pretty sweet for a daily driver. As far as turbo manufacturers go I think you generally get what you pay for. A genguine K04 is under $2k NZD available through local supplier of 034 stuff - alittletuningco.nz

Thanks for your info! That website is going to save me a lot of money! Very useful!
I'll keep you posted what I can find out.

Alittletuningco

Quote from: KiwiRider on October 09, 2018, 09:25:39 AM
Thanks for your info! That website is going to save me a lot of money! Very useful!
I'll keep you posted what I can find out.

Hi there! We officially launch on the 12th October, so please come and have a look at what takes your fancy! Just finalising items like shipping and the dreaded MPI/Bio security levy, so if you find what you are after before we have finished this part, please contact us and we can send you a customised quote.

Thanks for choosing us!