Hill hold for Mk5 Golf

Started by dummer, October 15, 2018, 05:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dummer

Hi,
was looking a way to have hill hold assist on a mk 5 golf and come to this https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?5760-Hill-Hold-Assist-in-MK5&s=7752ab512b660bc77770001fabe0162f&p=55849&viewfull=1#post55849

Anyone know what "Right DuoSensor" he's refering to?

Thanks a lot

Worms

What ABS do you have?

MK60? MK60EC1? What production year is your Golf?

If you already have ESP, you'll need a compatible ABS module, and fit the Duosensor from a car with Hill Hold, (or from a 4-motion car - same sensor). It doesn't require additional wiring to the sensor.

If you have MK70 without ESP, there isquite a bit of wiring required.

If you have MK60EC1, it's just an ABS module change, or possibly just a coding change if it's a compatible module, but that is not likely. The sensor is in the module.

There may be a little experimentation required to get it right.

Do you have a VCDS scan?

the phantom

um, left foot brake? I assume it's DSG
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

McDoof

MK5 golf has a standard handbrake. Just treat it like a manual. Handbrake up, give it a little gas and then release the handbrake slowly.
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

Worms

Quote from: McDoof on October 16, 2018, 03:57:34 PM
MK5 golf has a standard handbrake. Just treat it like a manual. Handbrake up, give it a little gas and then release the handbrake slowly.

I have to move my tissue box out of the way to do that smoothly in my Touran  :laugh: And I need the tissues or at least wipes, for the 3 monsters tied up in the back!

dummer

First of all, sorry for double posting here and Tech section. my phone crashed and thought it didn't post (and not sure why it's under A3 not golf).

Quote from: Worms on October 16, 2018, 09:10:27 AM
What ABS do you have?

MK60? MK60EC1? What production year is your Golf?

If you already have ESP, you'll need a compatible ABS module, and fit the Duosensor from a car with Hill Hold, (or from a 4-motion car - same sensor). It doesn't require additional wiring to the sensor.

If you have MK70 without ESP, there isquite a bit of wiring required.

If you have MK60EC1, it's just an ABS module change, or possibly just a coding change if it's a compatible module, but that is not likely. The sensor is in the module.

There may be a little experimentation required to get it right.

Do you have a VCDS scan?

My car is a standard NZ new Golf 5 GTI so it has a MK60 ABS module (I do have a mk60EC1 sitting somewhere but I don't know how to generate the long coding for it since it need to incorporate VIN number and ross tech is hesitating to help generating one)

So from what you say is I just need to grab a Duosensor(is that under the driver seat?) from a R32 and it should work?

Quote from: the phantom on October 16, 2018, 10:02:46 AM
um, left foot brake? I assume it's DSG
Yes it's DSG
Planning to give it to my parents but they are used to the Merc which do not have the problem of rolling back on incline and seems to have forgotten how to do handbrake hill start

Thanks

Worms

Some later MK5s are MK60EC1 too.

You need the right duosensor (Check ETKA for your year, but the same sensor was often used on AWD and hill hold equipped FWD cars, stanadard ESP FWD cars used a different sensor) AND a compatible ABS module for a FWD car. Your module probably isn't capable.

Naekyr

You don't really need to use the handbrake though, it can take a little practice coming from an auto though as I found out with the GTI, there where many days I'd spin the wheels on a hill and look like an idiot

Without the handbrake and assuming no hill hold you have a couple options

1) Hold the brake with left foot, apply throttle with right foot until it starts to take, then release brake

2) Or what I prefer to do, just use right foot, take foot off brake and use throttle to get going - this takes practice, too little throttle and you roll back, too much and you spin the wheels (damn stage 2 GTI and its 380nm torque going to the front wheels...), but get your timing just right and the car takes gently without issue, I've become really good at this and no longer have an issue with hills, just using my right foot I can get the car going without rolling back or spinning the wheels. If I'm feeling lazy then I'll use the hill hold                         

dummer

Quote from: Worms on October 17, 2018, 09:43:06 PM
Some later MK5s are MK60EC1 too.

You need the right duosensor (Check ETKA for your year, but the same sensor was often used on AWD and hill hold equipped FWD cars, stanadard ESP FWD cars used a different sensor) AND a compatible ABS module for a FWD car. Your module probably isn't capable.

Do you mean I still need to try code a MK60EC1 in? :-[

Worms

No, It's possible to have an MK60 with hill hold. SOME of them are capable.

• find a compatible MK60 ABS module
  • Install 4-motion/hill-hold G251 sensor
  • Code ABS to car
  • perform basic settings/adaptations, possibly system function test

the phantom

Quote from: dummer on October 16, 2018, 11:40:24 PM

Planning to give it to my parents but they are used to the Merc which do not have the problem of rolling back on incline and seems to have forgotten how to do handbrake hill start

using a handbrake is like riding a bicycle, cheaper and simpler just to retrain them  8)
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

dummer

Quote from: Worms on October 19, 2018, 04:12:41 PM
No, It's possible to have an MK60 with hill hold. SOME of them are capable.

• find a compatible MK60 ABS module
  • Install 4-motion/hill-hold G251 sensor
  • Code ABS to car
  • perform basic settings/adaptations, possibly system function test

How do I identify the MK60 is capable or not?

Worms

Quote from: dummer on October 20, 2018, 05:00:23 PM
How do I identify the MK60 is capable or not?

Hunt through EKTA and find the part number for a pump that matches the PR code for Hill Hold, and the other PR codes that may be required for your car, and any required production run changes/year changes.

dummer

Bought a 7H0907652A online and installed today and doesn't seems to be able to recognise it.
ABS and tyre pressure light flashing on the dash.

Did I bought the wrong sensor(if so, which one should I get?) or the sensor is faulty?

Thanks

Worms

What error codes are present?

You probably have to do the basic settings in the ABS at least... the sensor may need to be fitted in a different orientation (I had to in my Touran when I fitted the sensor for the 4wd system). It had to be fitted upside down.

We still don't know what spcific ABS module you have, and if it's compatible.

dummer

Address 03: ABS Brakes        Labels: 1K0-907-379-MK60-F.lbl
   Part No: 1K0 907 379 K
   Component: ESP FRONT MK60      0104 
   Coding: 0004738
   Shop #: WSC 00046 412 00000
   VCID: 3A70CA9A75BB309ADB-806E

No fault code found.

But when I try to access the ABS, it said not found and cannot get into coding page.

Worms

That ABS is very unliekly to be capable of hill hold

You'll most likely need an ABS module with an AC suffix or similar. there are others, but some are 4WD (like my AB, in my Touran with 4motion).

FWD, HHC. Possibly Comfort Driving Assist? too.

It's best to swap the whole module, but you need a very clean one, from a reputable source so you don't have crud in the lines. It's important to be meticulously clean, and have a good idea what you are doing, if you swap ABS components. You'll need a decent pressure bleeder and plenty of fresh, decent quality fluid. The hydraulics blocks asharing the same "block" number can be interchanged, so if the new units arrives with the same block as you have, you can keep your hydraulic block. You have to take it out to get the unit apart anyway though. Mine was a "2054" block, and the valve in it jammed, so I swapped the block to another 2054 that I had, but kept my module.

You need to find the PR codes you have on your car, then find the PR codes you want to add (HHC), then find the module that matches using 7zap or realoem EKTA etc.

dummer

I  trying to avoid changing the ABS unit because I don't know how to come up with the correct coding after I change the module.