More A4 B8 woes...

Started by Long Black, October 26, 2018, 02:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Long Black

Just got car back for a week after full mechatronic rebuild..thank God for Autosure Warranty. Driving to nelson and notice light smoke from under bonnet. Lifted up and see oil all through engine bay, obviously spraying back from rocker cover down to manifold, turbo and beyond. Bloody mess!!! Now in workshop in Nelson waiting for replacement solenoid to be flown in from Singapore (none available in NZ at present). Anyone had this issue before? Love the car, hate the latest fails though. Again Autosure are coming to the party. To anyone out there contemplating a used European....get a warranty...worth its weight!!!
1999 B5 VW Passat V6 Syncro Wagon - Black...gone
2007 B7 Audi A4 S-line Avant Quattro 2.0T - Black...gone
2011 B8 Audi A4 S-line Avant Quattro 2.0T - White..Gone
2008 Mk5 VW Golf GTI - Black
2012 B8 Audi S4 Avant - Brilliant Red

Long Black

Also, big ups to Haven Motors in Nelson. Great people...took time out of their day after work to check car over for me and next day squeezed it in to their already full workshop to start working on the car. Very professional, friendly crew....if you have a VW in Nelson check them out. They did an alternator replacement for me on my old Passat a few years ago in record time and got me going again. Good guys!

slowmo

That warranty definitely paid itself off!
Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

Long Black

OOOOOH yeah....wouldn't be without it!!

Long Black

...and the saga continues. After 3 weeks in Haven Motors I flew to Nelson and drove the car back to Christchurch. Ran well until about 40km out from Christchurch and the power disappeared. Shuddering on acceleration, and a distinct rattle in the rocker cover area on start up. No oil leaks to speak of though. So car is now in Archibalds with diagnostic reading saying issues with actuator, solenoid etc etc. Bloody frustrating. Anyone had similar issues? Archibalds  say it's rare for this to happen.

Alittletuningco

BB

Im not sure if this will help, but replace the ECU relay. These cause all sorts of strange issues and are cheap and easy to replace.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

Long Black

Thanks for the heads up....the long and not so short of it is the initial repair was not investigative enough. On opening up the engine and taking the cam cover off Archibalds discovered quite a lot of damage. The upshot of which is the total repair is now over the warranty cap, due to a new head, camshaft etc etc having to be ordered three weeks before Xmas....my balance is 5k. Not happy. Autosure have been great to deal with. However, trying to get the initial repairer to admit fault....looks like a protracted battle through MTA. "Tis the season to be jolly.

McDoof

NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

Pristle

Bugger. I thought I had issues.

And then my wife asks, "why do you always look at the older models? (cars that is)" Other than the difficulty of finding parts, they're easier and cheaper to work on.

McDoof

Quote from: Pristle on December 06, 2018, 10:08:13 AM
Bugger. I thought I had issues.

And then my wife asks, "why do you always look at the older models? (cars that is)" Other than the difficulty of finding parts, they're easier and cheaper to work on.

Until your V5 blows up!
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

Pristle

I mean older than that even.  ;D The V5 proves my point.