Oil Light

Started by NicB83, October 26, 2018, 05:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NicB83

Hey all,

I have a 2007 Golf GTI

Driving home today and the yellow oil light came on. I was 2 minutes from home so when I got there I checked the levels and they seem fine. After doing that and having the bonnet open and closed, the light hasn't come back on.

The car is due for its service next week which is booked in but I just want to make sure I'm not going to blow anything in the meantime.

I have some oil in case I need to top it up but just anyone come across this on/off oil light before?

Cheers!
Get In, Shut Up and Hang On! ;)

The Red Warrior

They are known for using a lot of oil generally. When you say you checked and it was fine, where was it up to on the dipstick?
From the bottom of the cross-hatched section to the top is equal to a liter of oil.

NicB83

I let the car cool down and it was only just above minimum so no wonder the light came on!

I topped it up and its booked for a service on Thursday so it will get a complete refresh.

I will check it more regularly once its had it service!
Get In, Shut Up and Hang On! ;)

Naekyr

Oil level on golfs should be checked in accordance with the manual - which is warm the engine to operating tempreture, then turn the engine off and let it stand for 1 or 2 minutes, then measure the oil - the level should be between the min and max lines but no lower than min or higher than max