Parents lost their only key

Started by B5Passat, November 01, 2018, 10:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B5Passat

Parents just bought a new 2015 Toyota landcruiser v8 petrol with 5000 Kms on it from Japan a few weeks ago. Unfortunately they lost the only key that came with it and a replacement from Toyota is $5000. Holy smoke could buy another car for that price. Luckily the insurance is going to pay for it but why so expensive?

dummer

because they have nothing to copy from but have to code into the alarm system?

schattenblau

damn... japanese keys are so $$$$$$

in this computer age coding a car system should not be so expensive.

just ordered a spare for my renault - $270

:laugh:

Worms

Because Toyota? Their parts are often really expensive - and I've had BMWs and VWs for years!

If your folks had gotten a decent locksmith to clone the original, they'd probably have saved a fortune, but without one to clone, it's far more complicated (generally speaking, I don't know how the toyota ones work, specifically). Once insurance sorts it out, get one cloned, or ask what an additional one will be from Toyota. You don't want to do it again! ;)

VW'n

Quote from: Worms on November 01, 2018, 07:22:34 PM
Because Toyota? Their parts are often really expensive - and I've had BMWs and VWs for years!

If your folks had gotten a decent locksmith to clone the original, they'd probably have saved a fortune, but without one to clone, it's far more complicated (generally speaking, I don't know how the toyota ones work, specifically). Once insurance sorts it out, get one cloned, or ask what an additional one will be from Toyota. You don't want to do it again! ;)

Having owned many toyotas before our current VW.
In my experience Toyota parts are way more expensive then vw ones!
It makes me smile when my friends with toyota's tell me how expensive Vw's are to own.
I would say the biggest expense with the vw is the depreciation as once they get around the 10 year old mark no one wants to touch them.
06 B6 Passat Wagon 2L Turbo (Family Wagon)
87 Mk2 Golf silver (the toy)
95 mk3 gti rusty ABF (Sold)
86 Mk2 Golf red (sold)
89 Mk2 Golf blue (sold)
85 Mk2 Golf GTI silver (parted)