Octavia TDi Engines

Started by Max, November 01, 2018, 08:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max

The daughter is contemplating a Scout TDi. Seems they come in 110kW and 135kW options. Is the difference simply the level of tune, or are they different engines? If different, is one more reliable than the other? Anything to be aware of with these wagons?
TIA.

RS ZWEI

Diesel particulate filters are a big issue.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

McDoof

Quote from: RS ZWEI on November 02, 2018, 11:49:10 AM
Always a good excuse to take it to Stage 2  ;D
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

Alfashark

The 135kw Scout is effectively a mildly jacked up RS wagon.

Any particular reason she's aiming for a Scout and not an RS?
'14 Octavia RS TDI
'06 Fabia VRS
'93 CitiGolf 1.6

ranton-inc

Quote from: RS ZWEI on November 02, 2018, 11:49:10 AM
only are a big issue if you dont keep up regular oil services and never take your car on long trips...

take it for a good roadie every month or two and it wont clog.

RS ZWEI

Quote from: ziptie.nz on November 03, 2018, 05:52:31 PM
only are a big issue if you dont keep up regular oil services and never take your car on long trips...

take it for a good roadie every month or two and it wont clog.

True, bu this is someones daughter who more than likely is driving to and from work/school.
1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

Max

Thanks for the responses team, and apologies for the delay in responding too.

Alfashark......no particular reason why she wants a Scout. Perhaps a RS would be a better option?

It would be pretty much used for running around Auckland, with the occasional road trip back to the CNI, so the comments on the DPF are useful thanks.

Time for a rethink, perhaps.

Alfashark

Year for year, spec and mileage alike, the Scout seems to have a higher price tag than an RS.

If it's something she'll hold on to for a few years then perhaps an EGR/DPF delete is something to look at - Assuming I've still got the Octavia when the warranty expires, that's my plan.

What about a petrol RS 162?
'14 Octavia RS TDI
'06 Fabia VRS
'93 CitiGolf 1.6

RS ZWEI

Quote from: Max on November 21, 2018, 11:29:08 AM
Thanks for the responses team, and apologies for the delay in responding too.

Alfashark......no particular reason why she wants a Scout. Perhaps a RS would be a better option?

It would be pretty much used for running around Auckland, with the occasional road trip back to the CNI, so the comments on the DPF are useful thanks.

Time for a rethink, perhaps.

I hunted out a petrol vRS manual Wagon for the wife. Perfect for us.
1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

portmanteau

Found myself in possession of a 2011 Scout 2.0TDI 140 (CFHC Common-rail).  Showing all signs of EGR failure. I am told it was chipped by someone in Otago, but as yet no firm details on that, though it does pull much harder than it should - at least till dropping into limp

Who could anyone recommend in Chch to do a remap for EGR-delete?  From what I can find online, the hardware part of it I can easily do myself with the well known UK kit, although is that any more difficult with it being 4wd?

Is the delete going to have any real downside, apart from to the planet?  I'm afraid with VAG clearly having little guilt about their emissions lies and ongoing consequences of their "fix" that I'm not going to get too angsty about doing what they have necessitated.

I guess it has a DPF as well, though the build data doesn't show the code for having one, nor the code for NOT having one, but maybe I'm looking for the wrong codes. It's NZ-new - did they all have them by 2011 model year?
'94 S2 Avant N300 Nothelle, '94 S2 Sedan '84 urq,'80 Golf GTI replica, '83 Rocco GTI, '99 TT, '07 Q7, '99 S4 Avant, '86 90Q, '63 DKW Junior, other non-VAG collectibles, & 2 lonely 200Q

ranton-inc

Quote from: portmanteau on March 20, 2019, 10:27:52 PM
Found myself in possession of a 2011 Scout 2.0TDI 140 (CFHC Common-rail).  Showing all signs of EGR failure. I am told it was chipped by someone in Otago, but as yet no firm details on that, though it does pull much harder than it should - at least till dropping into limp

Who could anyone recommend in Chch to do a remap for EGR-delete?  From what I can find online, the hardware part of it I can easily do myself with the well known UK kit, although is that any more difficult with it being 4wd?

Is the delete going to have any real downside, apart from to the planet?  I'm afraid with VAG clearly having little guilt about their emissions lies and ongoing consequences of their "fix" that I'm not going to get too angsty about doing what they have necessitated.

I guess it has a DPF as well, though the build data doesn't show the code for having one, nor the code for NOT having one, but maybe I'm looking for the wrong codes. It's NZ-new - did they all have them by 2011 model year?

no downside to the car it self.. there will be a slight reduction of Carbon build up further up your intake manifold.

It will probably require a clean out any way.

id say its highly likely you can buy a chinesium tool from Aliexpress that does the one click EGR delete/deactivate

portmanteau

All sorted :)

Like it never heard of EGR

'94 S2 Avant N300 Nothelle, '94 S2 Sedan '84 urq,'80 Golf GTI replica, '83 Rocco GTI, '99 TT, '07 Q7, '99 S4 Avant, '86 90Q, '63 DKW Junior, other non-VAG collectibles, & 2 lonely 200Q

Trouser

Quote from: portmanteau on March 21, 2019, 10:11:55 PM
All sorted :)

Like it never heard of EGR
Hi. I have just bought the same car.

Can I ask what you used and how you went about the EGR delete?

portmanteau

The kit I will use is coming from the UK, but my own question (above) was who can do the ECU modification so the car no longer looks for an EGR valve?

The answer in my case was I found out who the tuner was that had already modified the car for performance reasons, and he has made further changes to the ECU for me

You will need to find also a tuner to do that for you, and negotiate a cost with him. Any competent re-mapper should be able to do it

This is the type of kit, but there are cheaper ways to do it if you don't want to bother diverting the coolant flow:

https://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/darkside-2-0-tdi-common-rail-egr-delete-race-pipe-and-egr-cooler-delete.html

I am not bothering to remove the old valve - just leaving it in place, so do not require the "race-pipe"

Trouser

Thanks for the reply.

That Darkside kit looks like good value. Might get a DPF delete at the same time.