New Black Beetle

Started by BB, November 09, 2018, 10:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BB

Hi. Long time since I've been here. But hopefully a few who know me or can help are here still.
I got a 2000 beetle that's got a cooked engine.
Anyone got a good engine?
Does one from a golf fit? As long as it's the 2l bog standard 8v? Would a golf 1.6 fit? That would be OK.
Thanks if anyone can help.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

the phantom

hi Jem, long time

the Beetle is built on a Mk4 Golf platform, so interchangeability is pretty good, my Mk4 wagon has a Beetle 5 speed manual box
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

BB

Yea thought so. AA didn't have a motor which surprised me.
I've pulled the old one apart, what a mess. It's got so hot the plastic splash guard under the rocker cover is melted all over the cam. And in the sump one is all melted too!
The pistons have swelled up and smeared the bore a bit too.
It had no compression almost. And the melted plastic was blocking the oil pick up.
All said tho i think I'll pull the pistons and see how bad they are. If they are still ok i might just re ring it and give the bore. I'll check the head for strightness, and do the head gasket, the old head gasket is a steel one and it's actually fine. I might even reuse it lol. With Hylama blue. See how exorbitant they are.
I'm gonna do a real cheapo job. I got it for $250.
See how tough these old VW motors are.
That said a good 2nd hand would be free at the right price.

wilco

BB!

I have a std 2.0 8V auto that runs well, still in the car in fact.  Has a dogdy trans so parting it out.
All yours incl loom and ECU for $300, I'll even bring it up as far as Pukekohe.
How much of a hurry are you in?

W.

80 Vert

Pretty much any 8V 2.0 mk4 engine will work. (APK or AQY is direct fit)
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

BB

Sounds good Wilco. I'll take that unless you have one closer John? At the same price? Lol.
Thanks tho Wilco that's really good. Let me know when i can come get it? Sooner the better i guess. How many kms? At least i can trust you know a good runner even if it's done a few kms. Any good plastic hoses from it would be good too. My head outlet is toast.
I pulled the pistons out. It's not worth dicking around. I knew a cheap motor would be around.

BB

Sent you a pm Wilco. Super keen on this motor!

BB

Hi, maybe Wilco is busy? I can't seem to get hold of him now.
I'm keen to get this beetle running. Anyone got an engine? I also need some radiator fans and maybe a fan controller box? If there is no fan switch on the radiator, does the 4 pin green sensor control the fans?

BB

Wilco is alive and well.
I've been working on another beetle that some garage seemed the motor was stuffed. They say a tee kay test shows the gasket is blown and it cooks up. But the owner says they drove it all the way back from up north after and it was fine. So I've managed to find, one failed fan. The big one., one blown fuse on battery, one dud temp sensor in radiator, and the heat exchanger on the transmission was blocked badly. If you have a mk 4 with brown water, this exchanger will be blocked. It was easy to remove and flush out. I also found the plastic side water outlet leaked. It was only $18 for a new one?
These beetles are really easy to work on.
Can't wait to get my black one going.

BB

The blocked Trans cooler is the reason these things go wrong I think. Along with failed fans. But truth is these old 8v motors are tough, and can handle a fair bit of bad heating up. Im pretty sure that I have saved this beetles life.
I really quite like my black one and think they really are a cool looking car to get about in.

the phantom

I spotted a nice black one yesterday with classic Beetle chrome hubcaps and trim rings, very smart
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

BB

I've fitted the engine i got from Wilco. It's running sweet! Didn't even have to do the belt or even the oil yet! Good little motor. Started first pop. I think the old one over heated because the fan fuse box plug had slipped off. It had some zip ties but they weren't tight enough. Such stupid problems. It runs nice and cool fans come on and off with cap off. And I've only got the one small fan in their cause i sold the big one! The beetle fans are thinner than mk4 golf ones. Hopefully i can get one easy enough.
The AC switch is broken, and the interior fan don't work. But all the dash lights work and go out, and the central locking all works. Even the boot. Gearbox seems fine too.
Needs strut tops. I do them with the struts in place on mk4s now. Should be easy with the guards off.
Pretty happy with it.

BB

I got loads of bits from Pickapart. And found a new owner for the beetle. They go nicely along the road at 100kph. Very quiet. No air noise. Plus i like the plastic bumpers, you may see a mark on a beetle guard but never a dent! Maybe a slight crease. Funny huge dash, you wonder how they end up like that! I'd put a planter box in and grow a cactus garden and bonsai.