appropriate tyre sizes - question

Started by the phantom, November 23, 2018, 05:21:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the phantom

I've managed to score a set of Santa Monicas for the wagon, actually two sets with two decent wheels each, one set has four good Bridgestone RE 003s, but they were on a Polo and are 205/40/417, whereas the Golf standard fitment is 225/45/17, the two busted (and repaired) wheels cracked on impacts on Northland roads and I wonder if the low profile made a contribution to this

the second set has Hiflys in the correct size, on has cosmetic only damage and the other one has about a 120mm piece busted out of the rim, probably went sideways into a kerb and again, I wonder if the performance of the tyres made a contribution to this event

my current thinking is to put the Bridgestones on all four good wheels until they wear out and then replace them with Michelin PS4s, but is the low profile on a heavier Golf just asking for problems?

I don't plan to use the Hiflys because one has a screw embedded in it (fixable I know) and the one on the busted on has a gouge out of the sidewall, so I don't trust it

or should I just bite the bullet and go straight to PS4s? currently, the wheels don't owe me a lot and I can probably get my current outlay back on T-M from the MK4 GTI BBSs with warrantable PS4s and Pirelli P1s

thoughts?

Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

dummer

P4...

is the 205 stretching on your wheels?

the phantom

the contact patch is noticeably narrower and the sidewall not as deep as the 225/45

when I do get the PS4s they will be the correct size

McDoof

I would say ditch the Bridgestones on Trademe and get the right size in the PS4. Running a lower profile and width is going to throw out your speedo and and your gearing a bit and also make the ride a bit harsher than it should be.
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

the phantom

Quote from: McDoof on November 26, 2018, 08:20:36 AM
I would say ditch the Bridgestones on Trademe and get the right size in the PS4. Running a lower profile and width is going to throw out your speedo and and your gearing a bit and also make the ride a bit harsher than it should be.

that does make sense, I was thinking I could use up the Bridgestones first and get some value out of them, but I don't think they're a good solution for the Golf and may have contributed to the cracked wheels with the previous owner