Stage 2 tune reliability and driveability

Started by maxmax, January 04, 2019, 10:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxmax

Hi all. I'm in the market for a Mkv, either GTI or R32. This one is near the top of my list: https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1892364979

I'm just not sure about the effect that the Stage 2 tune will have had on the car's reliability / longevity and driveability. Can anyone comment on this? How much boost will it now be running?

Also is the above car known to this forum?

Finally, if anyone is looking to sell a tidy MkV GTI or R32 in silver, white, gunmetal or blue feel free to let me know about it :)

Cheers
Mk5 GTI, E30 M325i

The Red Warrior

Stage 2 shouldn?t effect reliability if servicing is carried out as prescribed or at least more often. Manual calls for 15,000km oil changes but I do mine every 10,00 now that mine?s at stage 2+. Seller says it has. Should be running about 21-23 lbs.
Frankly, I?d be getting it for those seats alone. People say manual mk5 GTIs are rare, but they?re not. They?re just not common. Those seats however, they are rare.

maxmax

Thanks Red Warrior. That gives comfort. Do you (or anyone else) know of a workshop in Chch that knows their VAG and could do an inspection?
Mk5 GTI, E30 M325i

The Red Warrior

Bit out of my area sorry, but someone on here must know.

McDoof

The reliability of a car with a stage 2 tune will depend on the quality of the tune. If it's over boosting or or the timing is wrong it could cause issues. But if it's done by a reputable tuner, then you are generally good and the car will be as reliable as stock. In most cases a car runs healthier on a tune due to optimising the timing for that specific engine rather than having a generic factory tune.
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

Naekyr

As long as there is nothing wrong with the tune, like overboosting, incorrect timing and AFR etc then it should be fine

You may find certain service items need to be done more frequently though, things like oil & filter changes (including DSG) as well as spark plugs, coil packs etc - but this also depends a lot on driving style - a car that is driven only gently may not need to be serviced as often as one that is hammered everyday etc

As a rule of thumb - stock servicing is  15,000km/12 months for engine oil and filter, 5 or 6 years for plugs and DSG
With Stage 2 you might want to reduce the oil & filter to 10,000km - or at least don't leave oil to get super dirty before you change it, and DSG and plugs could be every 3 or 4 years

I use the word "may" and "could" alot because these numbers are "broscience" - its just an assumption that there will be more wear on those parts but I feel driving style has a massive effect on it - e.g you may be hitting 21/22 psi boost on a tune but if you just driven gently and smooth all the time then you will never hit that anyway

maxmax

That all makes sense, thanks.

I'm picking the car up on Saturday.

First point of business is to find some standard springs and 17" wheels. The seats may have to go too because they might be too low for the mrs. to see over the steering wheel  ::)
Mk5 GTI, E30 M325i

Trofeo

Pretty sure you can raise the seats with the handle on the side?
2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

McDoof

Quote from: maxmax on January 07, 2019, 09:01:17 PM
That all makes sense, thanks.

I'm picking the car up on Saturday.

First point of business is to find some standard springs and 17" wheels. The seats may have to go too because they might be too low for the mrs. to see over the steering wheel  ::)

You shouldn't have any difficulty offloading the parts.
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

maxmax

Well I've got the car home now and I'm well pleased. I read many rave reviews about the driving experience and it lived up to all of them! Effortless pace, go-kart handling and savagely good brakes. A brilliant wee package.

The seats are brilliant and yes, height adjustable like you said Trofeo.

Unfortunately there are a few issues to get sorted in this order:

1. A rattle from the dash or engine area at idle. It disappears with the faintest touch of throttle. I spent the ferry trip googling possible causes and it seems the most likely causes are: dual mass flywheel, exhaust heat shield, fuel lines or trim screws by the fuel box
2. Headlight lenses are crazed & faded
3. The right rear window a) switch doesn't work and b) works in reverse from the drivers switch
4. AC Blower motor makes a rubbing/rattling noise. Faint enough that the radio can drown it out comfortably
5. The audio system is underwhelming. It lacks punch and gets too sharp at volume.

Of course I'll be hunting around the forums for fixes but if anyone wants to share thoughts below that would be appreciated! Number three is particularly bizarre.
Mk5 GTI, E30 M325i

The Red Warrior

Glad to hear you?re pleased.

For number 1, also check the windscreen wiper linkage where it bolts to the firewall. I had a rattle that seemed like it was in the dash but that was the issue. Both bolts were loose. An easy check is to use the wipers and see if the rattle changes or stops.

schattenblau

ditto to the above !

my mk5 also had what seemed like a dashboard rattle which eluded me and the local vw dealer.
it remained after all accessible bolts behind the dash were checked and tighten.
it was a fluke that i noticed operating the wipers silenced the rattle !
one bolt was out of the hole and the other was only a few turns away.

maxmax

Thanks for the tips gents. I just checked and the noise persists with wiper action unfortunately.

I had a brief poke around with my stethoscope (left over from my mk2 ownership days) and it appears to be coming from a round-ish thing sticking off the driver's side of the engine. It's near the alternator. Such a vulnerable feeling not being able to identify the parts in the engine bay! I'm not used to this after 12 years of owning BMWs. Is there a website with blown up and labelled parts diagram for VWs similar to realoem.com?

Seems like the 3m headlight restoration kit is worth trying for the faded headlights too.
Mk5 GTI, E30 M325i

Naekyr

Quote from: maxmax on January 13, 2019, 10:49:54 AM

Unfortunately there are a few issues to get sorted in this order:

5. The audio system is underwhelming. It lacks punch and gets too sharp at volume.

I've too found the Audio system in Golfs to be pretty dissapointing - even the Golf R at over $70k doesn't have any real clarity or punch unless you opt for the upgraded audio system - the issue is probably 1 out of 100 golf owners actually opt for the upgraded audio so it's really hard to find a decent second hand one for sale. It's not the worst audio system I've ever heard but when you consider that the GTI is now nearly $60k and the R is $73k - there are many cars at that price that do feature premium audio systems as standard, even other hot hatches do - for instance the $69k BMW M140i shadow edition comes standard with an 8 speaker + sub Harmon Kardon system which I've heard and sounds pretty damn good

If you go aftermarket I'd be keen to know what worked for you

McDoof

Get your headlights restored professionally. It's pretty cheap and generally carries a warranty. It needs to have a UV coating applied otherwise they will just get yellow again. Had mine done 3 years ago and still looks like new.

MK5 stock audio is a bit Meh.... I upgraded the front speakers to improve the clarity. Then ended up adding an amp and a sub to fill it all in. Sounds good now. Custom sub box is a must if you still want to use your boot.
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

Naekyr

Quote from: McDoof on January 15, 2019, 10:52:29 AM
Get your headlights restored professionally. It's pretty cheap and generally carries a warranty. It needs to have a UV coating applied otherwise they will just get yellow again. Had mine done 3 years ago and still looks like new.

MK5 stock audio is a bit Meh.... I upgraded the front speakers to improve the clarity. Then ended up adding an amp and a sub to fill it all in. Sounds good now. Custom sub box is a must if you still want to use your boot.

Just chuck the sub under one of the front seats

McDoof

Looked into that and found it really hard to fit anything under the seat. Only just managed to get the Nano Amp under the passenger seat. So built a custom box
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

maxmax

With some tunes I could get a better sound from a UE boom in the cup holder!

Eyes are peeled for an RCN210 head unit to start with.

Re. headlights, I did some searching and others have recommended getting the pros in too. So we'll go with that. Any recommendations for a Wellington-based headlight restorer?
Mk5 GTI, E30 M325i

Alittletuningco

Best things to change on the MK5 regardless of tune level to ensure reliability:
1) PCV valve - either new OEM or aftermarket PCV delete system. The PCV is useless on the 2.0tfsi
2) Diverter valve for a rev D or G - replaces poor diaphragm system to piston type
3) Cam follower for fuel pump - can?t stress the value of a $35 to ensuring you don?t have a $3k bill for a rooted engine

maxmax

Thanks for the tips. My engine runs really well and I can see the DV and cam follower have been replaced not too long ago and the PCV checked. But I'll start ordering those bits in regardless.

Loving the partial throttle response of this thing. Can't see myself ever going back to a non-direct injection car.
Mk5 GTI, E30 M325i