2008 VW Passat 2.0 TDi B6 - issues

Started by Pristle, January 05, 2019, 02:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pristle

While my wagon has been in the shop, my convalescing brother kindly loaned me his

As the heading suggests '08 B6 Passat 2.0TDi. Not really a great fan of the interior feel, but for a wagon that's clocked 320k, she's very sprightly, moderately economical and doesn't feel anywhere as heavy as my B5.5 (3B6). It does have it's own quirks.

1. Ride and Handling: I suspect there may a combination of issues on the left side of the car. First thing I heard when pulling off, was a creaking from the front left. When on the road I hear a faint bearing type rumble. Stability in a right turn is a little wobbly. First the front end wants to wander left and then the slightest bump makes the back end feel very skittish.

With the car on the hoist CV and linkages all feel good. Wheel feels tight, no rough feel when rotating wheel. It's been suggested that the front left strut mount bearing is iffy. The back end wasn't checked. But it feels almost like a broken shock.

2. Engine start: Something that manifested about 10,000km ago. When 'cold', engine turns and coughs into life immediately. No smoke, smooth idle. However should the engine be warm, restarting the car is a touch and go affair. My brother recently replaced the battery as the old one, seemingly the original, wasn't up to cranking more than twice. The crank position sensor, which showed up on VAGcom, was also replaced. Starting may take one or two cranks, but sometimes almost 10, with 20-30 second intervals.

When this hard starting issue is presented, cruise control goes for a walk. As in it will not set. This will not reset until the ca has been started cold.

While issue the handling issues are definitely mechanical is nature, the jury is out on the starting issue. It seems a well experienced dilemma that obviously VAG has refused to own. Some have resolved the issue with a mild remap, while others have resorted to installing manual bypass switches for certain engine sensors. Then there are others who have a followed that process of replacing the 'anti shudder valve' or deleting it completely. These all seem to be treating the symptom, but not the cause.

Anyone have experience that could put their 2c in? I'd love to resolve this for him.

As he uses it primarily for his daily commute, he doesn't experience that problem often, but it's an annoyance for hime when it does.

Pristle

Although I started the post with the handling, I'm keen to get to the bottom of the hot starting.

No-one on board suffered this with their Golf, Jetta, Polo or A4? Seems to be a common thread across many other forums. With no clear cut solution.

HaNs

Need to log rpm during cranking. If it doesnt reach the desired RPM it will not fire. Fix is a new starter or can be adjusted via a ecu tune