what started you off as a petrolhead?

Started by the phantom, January 17, 2019, 08:58:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the phantom

de Tomaso Mangusta, Giugiaro's finest work IMHO, I don't care that it understeered and oversteered at the same time (the inimitable Paul van Valkenberg's words) it's just drop dead gorgeous and it was exactly this R&T cover on the stand at Whitcombe & Tombs Lower Hutt store that started it, sadly .75c was just too much for a schoolboy to spend on a magazine otherwise I'd still have it
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

brian

I was given this for Xmas when I was about 7 or 8

It has seen a lot of use in earlier times
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

McDoof

This magazine and the 325i my old man used to drive like it was stolen.

NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

RS ZWEI

Mine was though Dad and my Grandfather, I never stood a chance  ;D
One of my earliest memories is sitting on the couch watching Bathurst with Dad.
Dad was a car dealer all my life with a yard that in the pre franchise days used to have play round with interesting and european cars. They also had the likes of series 1, 2 & 3 RX7's before there was any sign of Japan imports, even the odd Starion. I guess Im showing my age, as this was happening in the early to mid 80's.

1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

deedub

For me, it was this:

I loved this thing, and asked my dad how the piston things worked in a real engine - he dug out this book:

From the '70s, so not exactly up to date even 20 years ago, but I read it cover to cover, and from there came my interest in cars.
The family car was a 1980s VW Microbus (still have it) so that's why I always had a soft spot for VWs.
1983 T25 Microbus - keep forever, never finish
1988 mk2 Golf 2L 16v - work in progress

Gordo

Too long ago to remember - not sure if that should be  :):( or  8)
These are my thoughts and opinions - sometimes I'm wrong, but not often ;-)

le mans

As a school boy I used to collect matchbox cars. I prerred the larger ones (king size?). One of them was a 930 911T - definitely my favourite. It was metallic green but after much abuse I painted it red. It still exists at my parent?s house. I also had a poster of a Lamborghini Countache on my bedroom wall. I wasn?t much of an anorak though; my general car knowledge is pretty poor.

brian

It looks as though I made a much earlier start than the other posters on this thread.....................I wonder what that says ;D
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

Pushbutton_auto

Born in West Auckland  ..........   :)

I remember the old mans Vauxhall (1940s) and another flipped on its side in the driveway (4 spares) --- abt 1963

he never stood a chance after that, me and my brother filled the backyard with cars ..........   >:D
Beating up parking wardens ain't a crime.

RobClubley

From an early age I was fascinated - I used to car spot on long drives and was proud to be able to identify most cars from their tail lights. LEGO technic cars came next, and a life-changing visit to the British Motor Show. It all just grew from there.
1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

Poonmobile

My dad worked for Fiat then VW/Audi in africa. I also just love cars, my parent used to say i used to watch out the window for hours (we lived next to a main road in Lusaka) and could tell what kind of car it was at night by its lights. :D

He had a fiat 127, 121 & 132, when he started working for VW we had a 4dr MK1 CLi that he thrashed and loved to bits, he also got given a mk2 which had an awesome blue interior. He didn't like that much I don't think as he then bought the MK1 off the company and drove only that till we left for NZ. I've always had an affinity with VW's since.
Current:
06 NZ B7 RS4 Avus Silver, 01 NZ B5 RS4 Avus Silver, 93 NZ VR6 Tornado Red 3dr, Renault Clio 172 & Renault Clio 197
Past:
MK2 VR6, MK5 GTI, 2 x MK5 R32, 8L S3 Imola, MK4 Golf V6 4MO, Polo GTI, 2x MK3 VR6, D2 S8, B5 S4 Avant, 03 NZ R32 Deep Blue Pearl, Renault Megane R26 liquid yello

heylinb4nz

Had to be the Lamboughini countach and seeing this movie when I was a teenager.

https://youtu.be/9JBbNLzBHGU

Audi do

I can't pinpoint an exact time but I remember I wanted to be a carpenter like my dad, my brother wanted to be a mechanic (I am now a mechanic and he a carpenter).
I am not really a strict petrol head, I like most machines whether it be steam, petrol, electric, wind or human powered. I enjoy building chainsaws, small motors as well as motor cars.
I have never had much money to send something out to be fixed so have had to teach meself how to fix it and I must say it comes easily to me.

Pristle

That's a very difficult question to answer, but hear are some possibilities....

My grandfather was a mechanic who came out with some wild toys, like a 302 Windsor jammed into a 105E Anglia. Also 'working' with him, my father and a mate of my father under the bonnet of an Alfa being prepped for racing.

Other early memories were been taken to the Durban Motor Show each year from circa '66 (we lived nearby and we walked, with 'Uncle' Aubrey, a director at Ford SA). That year I fell in love with the Iso Grifo, in blue, with blue tinted windows and a white interior. I'm going by what I was told when watching 8mm silent home movies of the event years later. It was few years later, '69 or '70 that I decided green was my favourite colour, as that was the colour of the Mustang Mach 1 that took pride of place on the Ford stand.

As for motor racing, I remember going to speedway, stocks and circuit racing before my 6th birthday. My grandfather use to make custom pancake style air filters and used to go and hawk them at meets.