09 MK5 Golf TSI lack of power after 3.5k rpm

Started by snapdragon, January 18, 2019, 10:39:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snapdragon

Hi all

Hoping for some advice!

I bought a Golf from a dealer last week (MK5 125kw twincharge model).

I noticed pretty much straight away that after 3500rpm, power output was lacking. The car jolts slightly as the supercharger disengages, then power drops noticeably and the boost gauge drops to nothing. The car takes, on average, around 13-14 seconds to do 0-100kph.

It has been at a mechanic most of the week (paid for by the dealer thankfully). First they swapped the turbo, which didn't help. Then today they replaced the DV valve, and told me it was fixed. But after driving it home, it still feels the same.

Firstly, is it normal for the boost to drop off after 3500rpm? I'm thinking this car should probably do 0-100 in far less than 13-14 sec.

I'm basically just wanting to make sure this is actually an issue before I go back and moan to the dealer.

Any advice would be awesome. Thanks all.

NZGTI

I've just bought a simmilar car

and have found this a useful guide to the engine

http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_359.pdf

it does seem like the Turbo is not starting at all.

Check page 13
2015 Golf 1.4 TSi
2006 Touran 2.0
2006 Golf GTI...gone
2007 Touran 1.4 TSi Stage 1...gone
2003 Passat v5...gone
1999 Golf GTi...gone
1990 Corrado x2...gone
1984 Golf GTi...gone

snapdragon

Thanks for the link mate - that's an interesting read.

Car is all sorted though - apparently the mechanic installed a new turbo and a DV valve, and then forgot to run some calibrations on the ECU (or something like that).

Runs beautifully now. Awesome little engine!

schattenblau

commiserations.

get it running then sell it and never buy a twin charge again.

great in theory but nothing but tears for owners.

The Red Warrior

This ^

What schattenblau says is basically true unfortunately.

However, depending on how much the car cost, you could gamble on it. It may never have an engine problem again. Or, get a tune (APR etc) that fixes the running lean issues. But that would cost as much as the difference between the mk5 twin charge and a mk5 GTI.

So in summary, sell it and scrape up the extra to get a GTI.  ;)

snapdragon

I'm not too worried - I got a 3 year warranty with it, I'll wear that out and then sell it :P