1989 Coupe Quattro B3 - Project car

Started by JLTemp, January 26, 2019, 03:13:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Audi do

Quote from: JLTemp on July 07, 2019, 11:52:54 AM
Sounds like a classic stealership response haha
To be fair they replaced all ten hydraulic lifters (over a $1000 so they said), they said seven were faulty so replaced the lot..

JLTemp

Ok, question time,

I need to rewire a plug on the back of my head that goes to the thermal timing switch. Plug was previously broken and the wires were just tucked up away out of sight until I found them when I was looking at other broken parts I need to replace ::).

The wires I have are green with white stripe and red with black stripe. Which way do they go? Does it matter? Can anyone confirm?

JLTemp

Nevermind, I found it on the bosch classic parts website. Wired that back in today with a new plug.

JLTemp

Here we go again.

A couple of weeks ago I sent my gauges off to be repaired as Im sure most of you know. They stop counting km's eventually. My one hasn't been running for approximately 7 years so you know, only a few missed kms haha! It hadn't been opened ever and still had the factory seal stickers over the boards.

While that was out and the steering wheel was off I noticed that the horn ring housing thing was busted up and poorly glued back together. Rather than buy one I decided to 3d model it and then 3d print it.

It fit and worked first go. Woo!

JLTemp

This was all in preparation for this weeks job. A head rebuild :) A few months back I did a compression test on my engine and 4 out of 5 were spot on ~180psi. On Saturday I took the car to the workshop and pulled the front end, radioator and intake off.

Replacing all the sensors attached to the head so had to remove the sensor housing. It went really well... I only broke 2 of the bolts holding it on. There were 2 holding it on. :D

Thermostat housing actually came off rather easily. Although the thermostat was missing. Always did wonder why it took FOREVER to heat up.

Rocker cover off, camshaft looks all good

Not too much wear

JLTemp

Now the fun/scary bit. What will the cylinders look like? What will the pistons look like? Not too shabby!

Although upon further inspection I did find out why they took the thermostat out... Can you spot it?

A little closer?

The majority of the coolant gallerys were full of this crap!

I think it must be some kind of coolant leak fixing crap you put in your radiators to plug holes... Well it plugged holes alright... I'm guessing when I last had the radiator out to get the holes fixed properly and flushed that it loosened up some sludge with this garbage in it and its started plugging everything up. So radiators are off the to be flushed again and when I put it all back together I'm going to flush the engine out too.

Head looks pretty good. I think one of the valves is leaking which is where my problem is so while I have gone this far i may as well get it rebuilt so the head got dropped off the a re builders today with valves, lifters, springs and everything in between.

To round the day off I cleaned up the block face and the coolant galleries. Only one piston had "excessive" carbon build up which was around the size of a 20c piece and it just lifted off with my finger nail. The rest I'm probably just going to leave as is. Bores have no scoring of wear marks. Can still see the hone marks. I'll try take some photos of them when I go back in on Thursday to hopefully put it all back together.

slowburn

epic, nice post man, thanks for sharing >:D
99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

JLTemp

On Thursday last week the head was finished up and I a couple of days off work to finish this up and slap it all back together. My dad cleaned up the top of the pistons between jobs so that was a bonus haha

One freshly cleaned and rebuilt head

The reason for the loss of compression in cylinder 5 was a leaky exhaust valve that wasn't fully seating.
As seen by the lack of a shiny ring.

Compared to the intake valve of the same cylinder.

The valve guides we loose as a goose and I'm sure the seals were toast too. I didn't actually look. The head itself had a lovely warp on so that was machined flat again. I can't remember how much had to be removed though.

Here's the head back on and torqued down ready to rumble. After putting everything back together and flushing the engine of coolant and any other garbage we fired it up.

Things did not go well. :(

cylinder 5 was not firing so we checked plugs, leads, connections everything we could think of. Popped the rocker cover off and sure enough the exhaust valve lifter was solid in any position. The head re builder didn't think to check the valve stem length after the seats were re cut and it was too long. We loosened off the cam caps and the lifter became free. Basically at this point I'd given up. We pushed it back into the workshop over the pit and there it sat for the weekend.

Monday rolled around and the head re building company told us to pull it back down and they'll fix it up properly. I'm sure the guy who did the work just had a brain fart and forgot check things. Monday night after work the head was pulled down AGAIN and taken to them on Tuesday. They finished their work on Tuesday afternoon and we reinstalled it on Tuesday evening. Thankfully when I was ordering parts I bought a head gasket by itself and sometime after I found someone selling a top end seal kit so I had a spare head gasket.

Everything is back together and running pretty good. It actually heats up to temp a lot quicker now that it has a thermostat in it ;D

McDoof

Always nice when things eventually fire up like they should.
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

slowburn

99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

Poonmobile

This is awesome, great skills with the 3D printer too! Look forward to more progress.  8)
Current:
06 NZ B7 RS4 Avus Silver, 01 NZ B5 RS4 Avus Silver, 93 NZ VR6 Tornado Red 3dr, Renault Clio 172 & Renault Clio 197
Past:
MK2 VR6, MK5 GTI, 2 x MK5 R32, 8L S3 Imola, MK4 Golf V6 4MO, Polo GTI, 2x MK3 VR6, D2 S8, B5 S4 Avant, 03 NZ R32 Deep Blue Pearl, Renault Megane R26 liquid yello

JLTemp

I was curious as to how things were running after the head being rebuilt. It used to run somewhat rich and had a decent petroly smell to its exhaust gas so I acquired an air fuel ratio gauge kit to run temporarily. Welded a bung in just before the small cat (basically the only place it can have one) and ran the cables up through the engine bay and into the window.

Heres what it spat out at me

Idle -      ~15 - 15.3 / 1
50 - 65kmh -    ~14 - 14.4 / 1
100kmh -            ~13.7 - 14 / 1
Full Throttle -    ~11 / 1

So all in all not too shabby. Probably a little on the richer side but with an engine this old I'm OK with that. Also its probably not super accurate but rough enough is good enough right  ;D

JLTemp

Well the good old pandemic put the brakes on me acquiring parts as fast as I had hoped but I got there in the end haha.

Since I've owned this car the heater has not worked. Air goes everywhere and its mildy warm so I'm sure you all know what that means.
Dash out, heater core replacement and a lot of swearing.

A lot of the swearing came because the heater core had been replaced at some point and everything not put back to make removing the dash easy. Cables routed through and around things that made pulling the dash impossible without unwiring things completely.

I'm not sure who tried to fix the vents using what appears to be panty hose and silicone but c'mon...

I replaced the heater core with a brand new one from Audi tradition. The old one was so full of crud that it didn't flow anything and thus could never provide any actual warmth, that and combined with the fact my vents were basically not stopping any air haha

Covered the vent flaps with some HVAC adhesive backed foam

Ohhh boy is it nice to be able to control air flow and temp now.

JLTemp

Also while my dash was out I had to take it to my Dads workshop for more upgrades / fixes.

Just cable tied the gauge set to the steering column so I could drive it some properly :D

So the other stuff I wanted to replace was essentially all the suspension bushes.

Rear end out

Pressing rear bushes out they basically just ripped and were rock solid

Replaced with powerflex Heritage line bushes

Sub frame

Rear diff

Control arms

Also did the front subframe. Top shock mounts were replaced with 034 motorsports replacements. Old ones were toasted.

A couple had been replaced at some point but they had collapsed and fell apart. Its a wonder this car drove as well as it did.

Also did front and rear ball joints and tie rod ends

While the top mounts were out I took the opportunity to add some strut bar mounts

Whipped up a factory style strut bar out of some 25mm RHS and also replaced the coolant expansion tank. The towers are sagged in 6mm now from factory spec. I'm happy with that. Didn't want to push them out any further because there was some creaking noises and close enough is good enough.

JLTemp

Pulled the gauges apart to replace the odometer gear because well this one hasn't work for something like 7 years before I bought it.

Didnt snap a pic of the other smaller gear but it was blown out too. So I replaced them both. Seems to be working good now. Fingers crossed haha.

Also needed to replaced the LCD clock because the old one was broken and bled out.

So I actually ordered the wrong clock and it wouldn't fit. The LCDs looked about the same size so I figured if I pulled the LCD assembly off the new board and transferred it to the old board it would work right?
Gave it a nudge and low an behold it actually worked!

le mans

Awesome work. Would have been quite funny if you were pulled by a cop with the dash in that state.

slowburn

99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

89 Coupe

Hey, where abouts did you source the odometer gears from? Such a common problem!
1991 BMW E34 535i | 1989 Nissan Skyline R32 | 1993 Nissan Skyline R33 Coupe | 1989 Audi Coupe Quattro | 1996 Audi UrS6 | 1994 BMW E34 540i Touring | 1995 Audi 80 Quattro Avant | 1993 Audi UrS4 Avant | 1999 Audi S4 | 2009 Audi S8 | 1995 Toyota Cresta JZX90

JLTemp

I bought my odometer gears from eBay. I think there was a bloke on the s2forum that was making them.  I can find the link for you when I get home tonight if you like. Pretty sure all the sizes/variants were avaliable.

Edit::

https://www.ebay.com/usr/cnvhu?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Bought them from this guy. Took a long time to get them because shipping from the EU is a pain right now but I ordered mine way back in March about the time when the wheels were falling off over there and everything halted