GTi Low power and stalling at lights

Started by Rigpig, February 16, 2019, 03:04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rigpig

Hi All,

Hoping someone can help point me in the right direction, I bought my partner a very tidy 05 GTi in December but its had a few problems since and I?m starting to lose faith :-(

I had a little service history with the car when I bought it but it is very tidy and the price is right, I also bought it from someone I know who I trust and he would have told me if there were any issues.

I got the cambelt changed and the DSG serviced shortly after receiving the car by a forum member here, no issues there the car was running fine, shortly after this the battery started to drain overnight so I took it to the AA who told me the battery was faulty, I took it to Supercheap auto as they were just up the road with the intention of buying a new battery, they did a battery test first and it came up as no problems, however the negative earth lead was a bit loose and he said that was probably my issue. It wasn?t! I tried to diagnose the fault with a multimeter and the car was drawing about 85 milliamps so I pulled each fuse, in turn, to try and work out where the issue was with no success. I then took it to an auto electrician who had it for three days, every time they tested it came back fine but would eventually fail and the battery would start to drain. They eventually changed the battery and that resolved the issue. The car starts with no issues and the battery does not drain.

So we have had it back a few days and its started running terribly, the power is right down and it stalls at traffic lights and roundabouts, this is worse on an uphill incline. Sometimes when this happens pressing the accelerator does nothing for a few seconds and then the car will either take off or stall and the battery light comes on for a bit.

The CEL is not on and the battery drain issue has gone.

Looking for suggestions as to where to look first.

Thanks for any advice.

Tim
Company Car
2006 Mk5 Golf GTi project car
2010 Mk6 2.0 TSi Wagon stage 1+ (Wifey's sleeper 🙂)

The Red Warrior

Have you had it scanned for fault codes? Plenty of members on here can do this for you including myself.

Trofeo

Throttle body alignment probably needs doing.  Caused by disconnecting the battery.
2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

GLIDN

I would advise to look at the PCV, it sounds like a possible air leak in your vehicle.

try and open oil cap and see if its difficult to open up?
then try the same with dipstick

does the idle sound change at all or stay the same?
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning