DSG Shifter Knob Aftermarket

Started by gsw1999, March 03, 2019, 10:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gsw1999

Hi all,
My 2005 GTX came with the stock side button day knob, which is a bit scratched and quite frankly doesn't look as good as the front button GTI ones... I know this has probably been asked before but I was unable to find the thread.. where can you find aftermarket RHD shifter knobs, and could you bolt on a front button knob to the assembly my car has? All the ones I have seen have been with a LHD shifter plate. Also do mk6/mk7 knobs fit mk5s? Hard to find conclusive info on this stuff.
Cheers
2005 Mk5 GTX

Filx

Similar era Audi S3 had a nicer shift knob with a side button. I understand they are a simple swap, though I haven't done it personally.

if you want to swap to a front button knob you have to modify the plastic shifter cable by bending it 90 degrees so the hole in the cable that the button engages with is facing forward, rather than to the side. There is stuff on the internet if you search, people heat them and bend them. But if you break it you are up for replacing the whole shifter cable, which would not be fun.

Hope that helps.
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

gsw1999

Quote from: Filx on March 04, 2019, 07:46:31 AM
Similar era Audi S3 had a nicer shift knob with a side button. I understand they are a simple swap, though I haven't done it personally.

if you want to swap to a front button knob you have to modify the plastic shifter cable by bending it 90 degrees so the hole in the cable that the button engages with is facing forward, rather than to the side. There is stuff on the internet if you search, people heat them and bend them. But if you break it you are up for replacing the whole shifter cable, which would not be fun.

Hope that helps.

All the info I was looking for, thanks!!
2005 Mk5 GTX

CoMa_NZ

I've got a GTX as well so have looked into this not too long ago,  as mentioned, you can use a hairdryer/heatgun to twist the shifter cable to use one of the compatible shifter knobs, if you do this you can also fit a BFI aftermarket knob, I think Osiris might do one as well.

The only one I found where you can put it on without doing the mod is made by Euro Impulse, I emailed them and they told me their design allows direct fit on front or side button shifters.

Going with a GTI or compatibile audi shifter seems to be the cheaper option as far as I can tell as ordering one of the third party ones will set you back somewhere in the region of $200NZD+shipping

Geoniyama

Each of these stories may not be the same.