Author Topic: B6 S4 - oil cooler O-ring replacement  (Read 117 times)

Offline justanothernoob

B6 S4 - oil cooler O-ring replacement
« on: March 14, 2019, 01:17:19 pm »
The dreaded oil leak guzzling oil like an 18 year old college chick with Daddy Issues at Spring Break

Apparently it's a (common) known issue and just requires removal of the front end (bumper, radiators and alternator), removal of the oil cooler cover and replacement of 2 o-rings.
Parts are less than 20 bucks but it's 5 hours' labour and Mister 12's college fund begrudges me spending that ammount of money to fit $20 parts!

So I'm going to try tackling this myself. I did the radiator last year with some help from a mate (it was helpful having a 2nd pair of hands and eyes to make sure I don't do anything dumb!) but he's not in Auckland anymore.

There used to be a good bloke (I think called Gem) but I've lost his deets. Any Auckland mechanics on here able to help me do this?

Offline the phantom

• ##
Re: B6 S4 - oil cooler O-ring replacement
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 02:21:48 pm »
yup, Jem, used to be in Point Chev (possibly still is) user name BB, has been around this year after a long time out, try PMing him

http://www.vask.org.nz/index.php?action=profile;u=920

from my experience with the MK4 Golf there's nothing too scary about taking bumper etc off, you'll probably need torx bits, probably video on Y-T to guide you, just take your time and take photos of how it all came off
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

Offline justanothernoob

Re: B6 S4 - oil cooler O-ring replacement
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 03:19:11 pm »

that's the chappy - thanks :)

Yeah - taking the bumper off is pretty simple and there's a really good YouTube on it by some Eastern-block guy. But it's big and cumbersome enough that a 2nd pair of hands helps avoid scratches :)  The only challenging part was with getting the bottom hose back onto the back of the radiator when reinstalling - a bit fiddly even for my little hands!!!

I'll PM Jem just now - thanks muchly :)