Driveway angle requirements for sports cars

Started by beeker, March 17, 2019, 01:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beeker

So we're looking to renovate and this will include a dig to add a garage under the house, however the house is close ish to the street.
I'm told that 'somewhere' on the internet there is a schedule of requried driveway approach and exit angles for a number of common ~sports cars

Anyone abe to help ?
I cant find it.

I want to provide this to the arhcitect and we may tune the house design to ensure it works. Last thing we want is after market ramps needing to be added.

ie could i get a GT3 down it ?
Future goal!

14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

the phantom

your local authority will have minimum specs in their building code, but if you give wheelbase, ground clearance and overhangs to your architect, they should be able to calculate the appropriate angles, if not, change the architect

Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

Gordo

You need the approach and departure angles and breakover heights - best places to look would be the manufacturers of the car(s) you have in mind and/or the owner's clubs.
If you also plan the entrance as a gentle 'S' profile, it will further ease the angles and breakover, but add a little additional work and expense.
If you haven't already planned to do so, I would use several drain channels across and at the bottom of the drive, depending on design, and build a sump/drain into the floor to pump out/remove the water that may accumulate in heavy rain.

Worst case scenario, you may need to build a lift into the driveway, so you can drive straight on, then lower it to drive into the garage, or use it to lift the car for egress.
Something like this -
These are my thoughts and opinions - sometimes I'm wrong, but not often ;-)

schattenblau

underground garage with lift is uber-cool.

just like james bond or thunderbirds

;D