Transmission Issues

Started by ejcrows, March 19, 2019, 07:44:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ejcrows

Hi guys,

As if a sagging headliner wasn't enough last week, I appear to have run into a more serious issue with my 2006 A4. These are the symptoms:

- Will be driving fine for the most part until the car will seem to forget what gear it's in. The red light on the D symbol will disappear and the car will act as if it is in neutral (extremely stressful when happening in busy Auckland traffic)

- If I switch it to Neutral, and back to Drive, the entire transmission display of P R N D S will start flashing, but I regain the ability to drive, albeit very limited in power.

- I park and leave the car, and when I come back, it will be fine driving in D again, but will inevitably revert back to the process above.

After reading a bit about it, it seems like it is a mechatronics problem. But I thought I'd get the forum knowledge in on this as you guys have been so helpful in the past with previous cars I have had.

How much am I looking at getting this fixed these days? I notice that the parts have become far more available and the price has dropped drastically for them, but I imagine the labour will be about the same.

In saying that I'm sure that this is a problem that has more than one diagnosis so please let me know if you've had experience with this before.

Thanks,

EJ