GTI engine cut out

Started by Naekyr, March 28, 2019, 04:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Naekyr

First time this has happened - 2011 Golf GTI, 57,000km.

Car started fine, has new battery put in 2 months ago.

2 minutes after starting, driving up hill, gearbox in sport doing about 1800rpm in 1st gear at 10kmph. Car in front brakes, so I brake and as soon as I hit brake the engine cuts out.
At this point I'm stopped, the car is still in gear and the engine is off. The Red Battery light on the dash has come on, no other lights are on.
I turn the ignition off and on, car starts just fine, battery light goes off and car drives fine the rest of the way.

Any idea where the issue could be? As it's an isolated incident for now, I'm hoping it doesn't happen again, but if it needs to get sorted then I'll need to find out what's going on.

Checked fluids when I got home, everything is fine - was serviced not long ago by VW, oil is clean and full and engine sounds normal, battery terminals are not loose either.
Did a quick google search, but all the posts I could find where this is happening people say their EPC dash lights come on but mine did not

Thanks

GLIDN

sounds like a faulty throttle body or faulty accelerator pedal.

at least that's where I would start.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

Naekyr

Cheers thanks Hennie

Drove the car for 2 hours today without issue, so I'll just wait around to see if it happens again and take it from there - it's just a bit scary going uphill on a busy road and then having the car cut off

If it happens again, I'll starting investigating those items and take it from there

Naekyr

Possibly found the issue, not sure.

CEL came on, took it to the dealer for a scan.

Codes they found relate to the EVAP system, they say they need to replace the N80 valve, Carbon Canister and tubing. That's $950, thanks.

This price seems a tad expensive though and is the parts they want to replace reasonable?

And are these common parts to fail? I've never overfilled the tank - but in saying that I bought this car when it was 5 years old and I have no idea if the first owner liked to overfill the petrol tank

JaseNZ

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding : Ice cream man , Ice cream man

Naekyr

Thanks.

Using VCDS - if we block out the N80 error codes which will turn the CEL off, will that cause any issues?

Seems a lot cheaper to just block out the emission system codes than spending a grand replacing parts

Alittletuningco

Last time we looked for one of these for someone the N80 valves are around $25nzd and the charcoal canister was $159usd (248nzd).

Naekyr

Yeah I noticed the parts were super cheap overseas - if I wanted to go as low as possible, there are sellers selling replica cannister for $25 and N80 valve for $20 - both parts come from China and take up to 2 months for delivery

I don?t know how it can be so expensive in NZ - I tried several places and some places like Qualitat were even more expensive than the VW dealer. Qualitat wanted $310 for the cannister and $200 for the N80 valve, prices exclude GST so that's another 15% to be added

Naekyr

Ok so I unplugged the wire going into the N80 valve, blew the dust off the connectors and plugged it back in.
Then after a few minutes of driving the next day the Check Engine Light went off.

That saves $950, why couldn?t the dealer have done this to begin with.