Looking to buy a B6 Passat Wagon - unsure on best engine choice

Started by tigerstyle, March 28, 2019, 09:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigerstyle

I'm looking to buy a Passat B6 to replace a stolen 2006 Legacy Wagon.
Was only a 2 litre non turbo Legacy, but feels like  I want to replace it with a 4motion Passat, and why not choose the 3.2 litre version?

I don't think I want a diesel, and unsure on the other middle options petrol engines, my last petrol VW was a MK3 golf 10 years ago! So currently lost in the FSI/TSI/Turbo/1.8/2.0 namings and years and working out what's what.

But any reasons to not go for the 3.2? I missed one recently on TradeMe and it really looked like a nice car, your opinions on it?
Haven't seen any others with a sunroof which looks cool, and didn't think I would but  I love the beige leather (but not seen any in the flesh!)
https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1981899654

Cheers!

schattenblau

welcome to vask  :)

what's your budget ?

in v6 passats there's only one...

the r36, on TM from $12,500 to $25k

;D

Filx

2.0T would be my engine choice. But the 3.2 V6 Passats are excellent value, fully loaded, big brakes, drive nicely etc. The thing to watch out for (aside from usual servicing), especially on the earlier 3.2s and 3.6s is there was a problem with the bolt holding the oil pump. It was under spec, backs out over time and causes all sorts of engine damage when it lets go. So best to try and get as new a B6 as possible to avoid the issue as they revised the grade of the bolt (8.8 to 10.2 or something) or budget to replace the bolt when you buy the car.

Quote from: tigerstyle on March 28, 2019, 09:35:54 PM
I'm looking to buy a Passat B6 to replace a stolen 2006 Legacy Wagon.
Was only a 2 litre non turbo Legacy, but feels like  I want to replace it with a 4motion Passat, and why not choose the 3.2 litre version?

I don't think I want a diesel, and unsure on the other middle options petrol engines, my last petrol VW was a MK3 golf 10 years ago! So currently lost in the FSI/TSI/Turbo/1.8/2.0 namings and years and working out what's what.

But any reasons to not go for the 3.2? I missed one recently on TradeMe and it really looked like a nice car, your opinions on it?
Haven't seen any others with a sunroof which looks cool, and didn't think I would but  I love the beige leather (but not seen any in the flesh!)
https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1981899654

Cheers!
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

tigerstyle

Quote from: Filx on March 29, 2019, 09:03:39 AM
2.0T would be my engine choice. But the 3.2 V6 Passats are excellent value, fully loaded, big brakes, drive nicely etc. The thing to watch out for (aside from usual servicing), especially on the earlier 3.2s and 3.6s is there was a problem with the bolt holding the oil pump. It was under spec, backs out over time and causes all sorts of engine damage when it lets go. So best to try and get as new a B6 as possible to avoid the issue as they revised the grade of the bolt (8.8 to 10.2 or something) or budget to replace the bolt when you buy the car.

Any idea, the years affected by this, it is an issue I saw whilst googling the 3.2s. Also an approx price to fix? (DIY price also I can tackle this)

Otherwise 2.0T sounds good, and they are available in 2WD and 4WD?

I'd be looking at 6-7k 2006-2010 model, would love the R36 but will work up to that!

GLIDN

if you want a good reliable and amazing fuel consumption, get the 2.0TDI hands down. Nice to drive. Amazing cruzer.
if you want a little bit of fun get the 2.0T turbo petrol. As long as the motor is looked after. It will go for a long time.

the one platform I would avoid is the 3.2. when they go bad, it's virtually a write off now.
If you want to go to the large engines, get the R36 indeed. an amazing car, if you only do town driving? They are exceptionally thirsty.

Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

deedub

If you want a 4motion one you'll probably have to get the 3.2 or the R36. The smaller engines are nearly all 2WD. You see the occasional 2.0TDI 4motion.
1983 T25 Microbus - keep forever, never finish
1988 mk2 Golf 2L 16v - work in progress

McDoof

A mate of mine has a 2.0 TDI (125kw version) that has been given a stage 2 workout. That thing is both fun to drive and still returns decent fuel economy. Still good in factory spec, but watch out for DPF failure.
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red