Dip Stick disintegration

Started by Chchgti35, March 29, 2019, 07:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chchgti35

Just checked the oil on the car, plastic part of the top of the dipstick (below the level if the tube) broke away and I assume fell back into the sump, I managed to get a small fragment out which came away with the dipstick. Is this a reason for panic and anxiety ? Assume the oil filter and pick up on the sump will deal with this until oil change or should I do this straight away? is this a common fault on the mk6 CDL motor?

portmanteau

Nothing to worry about at all, and very very common on this particular dipstick design.  The pickup/strainer in the sump will do its job and if it really bugs you then put it on your bucket-list to take the pan off one day

Biggest concern is that you replace it so you do not get any problems with loss of crankcase vacuum which in the extreme might bring the engine check light on, on some models

If you want one in a hurry, check the part number on the handle of what's left of your old one, and I think it should be this one that I sell, here:

https://allgoods.co.nz/product/274742

If you are not to far from Chch city then I could possibly even drop one to you this evening on my way to work :)

'94 S2 Avant N300 Nothelle, '94 S2 Sedan '84 urq,'80 Golf GTI replica, '83 Rocco GTI, '99 TT, '07 Q7, '99 S4 Avant, '86 90Q, '63 DKW Junior, other non-VAG collectibles, & 2 lonely 200Q

Chchgti35

Thanks, its all good I have it sorted now. Thanks for the offer though.