Any love for the Golf GTE ?

Started by schattenblau, April 18, 2019, 11:55:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaseNZ

They seem to hold their price pretty well.
Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding : Ice cream man , Ice cream man

brian

To me, they seem too much of a compromise, neither one thing or the other; if you are gonna have a petrol engine, then why drag around a battery and electric motor as well.
Just more unnecessary complication for little gain.
I'm definitely black or white on this (oops, are you still allowed to say that), either you have a battery or you have an engine.
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

Naekyr

The golf is really fuel efficient to begin with, I'm not sure how much extra value is gained by making it a hybrid

McDoof

Wouldn't mind driving one, just to see what it's like.
But as hybrid, you still have all of the servicing of a petrol car. They really should build an E-Golf that goes like a GTi.
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

brian

Quote from: McDoof on April 18, 2019, 01:58:23 PM
Wouldn't mind driving one, just to see what it's like.
But as hybrid, you still have all of the servicing of a petrol car. They really should build an E-Golf that goes like a GTi.

Maybe September we might see something heading that way?

McDoof

If someone would build a $50-60k electric "hot" hatch, I think it could gain some traction in the market. As long as it has a range of over 350km and actually gives the butt dyno a good workout. I'd buy a second hand one in 8 years time  8)
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

Naekyr

Unfortunately GTI or more performance, with those looks, features and sport chassis in a pure electric would be closer to $100k

Electric cars are still a lot more expensive than Petrol. What $60k gets you today is a new Nissan Leaf, a car that if had a petrol engine would be consider one of the worst cars in the market

Having driven and being driven in both leafs and prius' - the actual quality of the drive is not much better than a  $18k mitsubishi mirage hatchback

schattenblau

driven both too.

i'd take the mitsi...  or walk

:laugh:

a family friend has a mitsi, it rolls on potenza re050a tyres !

;D

slowmo

We really wanted to like the GTE but the compromise was too much and at that price, i really would have just gone and gotten a Golf R.

Ended up with a Leaf and kept the GTI. Problem solved.
Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

schattenblau

pix !

did you sell the rs4 ?

the phantom

I think that many manufacturers have missed a trick with hybrids. IMHO the ideal hybrid uses a small fuel engine running at optimal revs foe efficiency that drives a generator that provides the energy for a fully electric drivetrain. batteries also have a role of course

I was highly disappointed when Toyota brought out the Prius as essentially an electric assist car
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

schattenblau

like a chevy volt or bmw i3 range extender ?

i like the i3s version and the bigger i8

8)

slowmo

Quote from: schattenblau on April 19, 2019, 06:16:01 PM
pix !

did you sell the rs4 ?

Just another plain Leaf - with lowering springs, BBS wheels and aero kit and the darkest legal tint hahahaha.

No i still have the RS4, i need to actually get serious about trying to sell it hahaha
Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

schattenblau

does it look anything like this ?

JaseNZ

Is this being sold in Japan ??. I do love the look of it.

brian

Quote from: JaseNZ on April 27, 2019, 12:04:41 PM
Is this being sold in Japan ??. I do love the look of it.

I think it was just a show car

JaseNZ

Quote from: brian on April 27, 2019, 02:28:36 PM
I think it was just a show car

Bastids, make it now and just shut-up and take my money

schattenblau

nismo leaf is real !

jdm only.

https://www.driven.co.nz/news/news/nissan-leaf-nismo-goes-on-sale-in-japan-only/

new leaf officially coming to nz this year.

no word on nismo version.

brian

There are a few Leafs around my area.......don't like the look of them at all. I do not think that the new model is any improvement either, going by the pics.
I suppose they do cater for a  niche until something better comes along.
On consideration I think the Kia Niro EV would be a better choice although it is a bit more expensive.