Any love for the Golf GTE ?

Started by schattenblau, April 18, 2019, 11:55:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaseNZ

Had a guy at work he bought his wife a brand new one, Sorry but do not like the look of it one bit.
Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding : Ice cream man , Ice cream man

schattenblau

in ev's i quite like the renault zoe but not $69k like.

:P

brian

Quote from: schattenblau on April 27, 2019, 08:18:53 PM
in ev's i quite like the renault zoe but not $69k like.

A Grey import is about $20, 000 less (or even more})

Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

slowmo

I?ve stopped caring about the looks of the Leaf - speaking about the common Gen 2 - because i am really noticing the savings for trivial travel (work, errands etc.).

Our family - 2 cars (GTI and RS4) used to spend about $160 in petrol a week and we have cut that down to $40 a week and the last 2 power bills have only spiked about $30 extra a month.

It?s been a no-brainer decision really. When a decent looking and affordable EV comes along (Seat? VW ID? Model 3?) then we will definitely go for one.

The savings help me keep the RS4 running!  :laugh:
Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

Naekyr

The market is moving very slowly though - cars like the Leaf come out yonks ago now, and yet is still among one of the few choices in the market and still very expensive.

There are many market segments for cars - Electrics that first came out, targeted small cars and drivers that travelled short distances each day and didn't mind a sub par car, as long as it came with environmental savings.
Now it's moved on slightly and now we're getting larger electrics and even SUV electrics, targeting larger families and people who need a bit more travelling distance between charges and the quality of the cars has moved on nicely with some of the newest electric SUV's actually looking the part and being nice enough to drive
But the segment that we are in (performance sport cars) is mostly untouched, with Tesla among the only options and certainly there is nothing out there in the sub 100k market - and I'm even hesitant to call any Tesla a performance sport car, even if it's fast in a straight line, it's certainly not a fun car to drive

I believe performance brands will all move to Hybrids long before they move to full electric.

From what I've heard that is certainly what VW and Audi will be doing, converting their petrol engines to Hybrids for cars like the GTI/R/S3 etc

Trofeo

Unfortunately depreciation is horrendous on electric cars, so purchasing one to save money is rather short sighted. As technological advances continue to be made, then values of old models will continue to plummet. I'm certainly not jumping ship yet..
2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

brian

Quote from: Trofeo on April 28, 2019, 01:03:58 PM
Unfortunately depreciation is horrendous on electric cars, so purchasing one to save money is rather short sighted. As technological advances continue to be made, then values of old models will continue to plummet. I'm certainly not jumping ship yet..

I think things will remain that way as the battery makes up such a large part of the cost, second hand buying will be like buying someones tired smartphone and there will not be many takers for that option.
Unless a miracle occurs in the battery department, they are simply not value for money. All very well to talk about lower running costs but you could run an ICE vehicle for years just to spend the difference in initial cost.
I looked into the whole EV thing a while back as I do believe that electric motors are the best form of propulsion (other than the sound) and absolutely nothing to do with the environment......just the characteristics of electric motors but came to the conclusion that unless you had a ton of money to throw away, an EV was not value for money.
Nothing against the 'well healed' spending up on them if they are so inclined as the economics of the whole deal are of no consequence to them. Sadly, from what I have seen, there appears to be a lot of virtue signalling involved though.

schattenblau

on ev sound...

i watched a few minutes of the jag ev race on duke last night.

all you could hear were squeaking brakes and what sounded bad wheel bearings.

without a good soundtrack, there was no sense of drama, and no reason to watch.

Naekyr

Quote from: schattenblau on April 28, 2019, 04:23:16 PM
on ev sound...

i watched a few minutes of the jag ev race on duke last night.

all you could hear were squeaking brakes and what sounded bad wheel bearings.

without a good soundtrack, there was no sense of drama, and no reason to watch.

Drive a Tesla at or over 120kmph - the road and wind noise gets horrendous inside the cabin, it's rather nauseating. It starts to sound like you're in a plastic box with wheels - and as measured in Db Tesla is just about the loudest cabin to be inside for EVs at high speeds

As such, there are tons of videos and guides on on how to add extra sound deadening materials to the cabin of Teslas.

It's rather ironic - for us VW owners, we have tons of videos on how to make MORE noise and for Tesla they have tons of videos and guides to have less noise

You have to drive these types of cars with the radio on all the time just to drown out all the crap sounds that you wouldn't hear on a petrol car because you'd hear the engine and exhaust.

McDoof

After reading this thread initially I started to look into the whole PHEV thing a bit more. I think the GTE could actually be a viable daily. Not as exciting as a GTI, but then again I have seen low mileage ones come up for a smidge over $30k. I live less than 20km from work, so could essentially travel to work on back on pure EV power, but without the fear of running out juice if I was to travel any further.
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

Naekyr

I'd be quite keen on an electric scooter if I lived under 5km from work

schattenblau

JaseNZ

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding : Ice cream man , Ice cream man

Naekyr

slowmo

Quote from: McDoof on April 29, 2019, 11:45:26 AM
After reading this thread initially I started to look into the whole PHEV thing a bit more. I think the GTE could actually be a viable daily. Not as exciting as a GTI, but then again I have seen low mileage ones come up for a smidge over $30k. I live less than 20km from work, so could essentially travel to work on back on pure EV power, but without the fear of running out juice if I was to travel any further.

This was our consideration with the GTE as well, but real world, specially in Wellington with hills and stuff, we were going to use up petrol and the EV range was not enough to get us home and back.

Also, isn?t the 1.4TSI a fairly troublesome engine? So in summary - maintenance on a VW petrol engine + additional maintenance on the electrical running gear made it unviable for us.

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

brian

Quote from: slowmo on April 30, 2019, 09:35:04 AM
This was our consideration with the GTE as well, but real world, specially in Wellington with hills and stuff, we were going to use up petrol and the EV range was not enough to get us home and back.

Also, isn?t the 1.4TSI a fairly troublesome engine? So in summary - maintenance on a VW petrol engine + additional maintenance on the electrical running gear made it unviable for us.

This emphasis my point, that a car should be ICE or EV, not both. A hybrid adds complication and expense. I think that a compromise solution always highlights the worst of each option.
I acknowledge that the car makers are embracing hybrid technology but that is an act of self preservation in the interim and lets face it, servicing complications and expense a bit further down the road is of no worry to them, only the poor hapless owner stuck with a dead vehicle and expired warranty.
It is a way of giving a high performance car some extra urge for limited periods while keeping the overall emissions in check but this a totally artificial requirement anyway and I can see no real need for this on an everyday driver.

schattenblau

vw id and honda e due this year

:laugh:

brian

I'm thinking that the ID may be shown at Frankfurt in Sept. as the Golf 8 was supposed to be, but has now been delayed until after Xmas due to 'marketing reasons' and it is my opinion that they would not want a new Golf distracting attention from the ID.

schattenblau

reports say order books open may 8, production car to be shown at frankfurt

magazine Auto Motor & Sport reckons 30k euro list, with vw losing about 3k euros on everyone

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/04/28/vw-lose-3000-euros-id-hatchback/

slowmo

I thought the SEAT version was going to undercut everyone at around 22k euros.