APR Stage 1 tune info requested.

Started by JaseNZ, May 04, 2019, 11:52:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaseNZ

Guys does any body know the approximate cost for the APR stage one tune for my 2014 R and its bang for buck value and if you really notice the difference.
Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding : Ice cream man , Ice cream man

schattenblau

if it's like their tunes for golf gti's, probably around $1900

give them a ring tomorrow ?

Phone: 0800 892 834
Address: APR New Zealand, P.O Box 3719 Parnell, Auckland   
[email protected]

JaseNZ

Quote from: schattenblau on May 05, 2019, 09:56:34 AM
if it's like their tunes for golf gti's, probably around $1900

give them a ring tomorrow ?

Phone: 0800 892 834
Address: APR New Zealand, P.O Box 3719 Parnell, Auckland   
[email protected]

Yup will be doing that, there is a crowd down here called VolksPower, cannot say I have heard of them before but then again I have not been looking, their website states they are We exclusively supply "Autologic and APR tuning upgrades" , will go and see them next week to have a chat.

LouieP

NZ New MK3 Golf VR6 3 Door

byront8

If you're based in CHCH or want to do remote flash at home tunes - check out Alittletuingco.nz - they are backed by Integrated Engineerings tunes on the MQB platform - and given they now hold two world records for 1.4 mile times - they are a great tuning offering.

Stage 1 tunesa re $956, and the corresponding DSG tune is $956.

Essbe

Have a chat to Hennie @ HSP Tuning for Unitronic
MK7 Golf R | MSE hybrid turbo | ESP custom dyno tune

Naekyr

Quote from: LouieP on May 05, 2019, 12:59:02 PM
Get the car mapped on the dyno

Most of these tuning companies, especially if they are charging a cheaper price are just files they flash into the ECU rather than actually doing it on a dyno

Which is usually fine, especially just for a stage 1 where you're not pushing the car and the files will be more than safe and reliable for just about any car.

You will always get more out of the car from doing it on the dyno though (and pay a lot more)

APR tunes are really expensive compared to the others in NZ, so I'd assume they are doing it on a dyno, at least I'd hope so at those prices and a warranty too

The Red Warrior

Afraid not re APR. Simply a re-flash too

GLIDN

JaseNZ,

if you're up in Auckland? if not, no matter can remotely tune your vehicle as well
I have built and tuned plenty golf R's, even built them in other regions in NZ as well.
Flew down to assist them, happy to explain anything and everything you need to know.

As others mentioned, can provide Unitronic software, I too can custom tune them as well.
So far, one of my custom tune customers hit a 12.14 sunday at meremere. Only Downpipe, stage 2 ECU and Stage 2 DSG.
Which I know we can do more, once we start replacing the limiting factors.

So far everyone I have seen offer custom dyno tuning, have for the most part done the exact same process as simply buying a file, flashing and sending you on your way.
What the most have forgotten unfortunately, is there is so much more information required other than a power run and AFR graph, which I'm afraid only provides approx. 15-20% of the overall picture a car is providing

Recently I had to retune a golf R which was "custom dyno tuned", had been running knock control up to -9 degrees across all cylinders and odd occasion -12. As soon as the car hits -12 it goes into limp mode. The customer was advised it a leaking diverter valve causing the issue.

Unfortunately it was all the following issues
Software was set to close diverter valve from 4000rpm - maximum RPM set point
Due to DV software issue, car was generating boost beyond 30psi (certainly no leaking DV here)
Redline peak RPM was increase way beyond save rpm point to now potentially cause valve float
knock protection was relaxed by 40% across the board
Air fuel ratio was also in all kinds of issues

the unfortunate issues above related in the following,
Intake manifold damaged due to excess boost
leaking exhaust manifold due to excess exhaust gas temperatures
Leaking high pressure fuel pump (due to incorrect installation)

What I have done for this customer is
re-instate knock protection back to stock
limited boost pressure to 21-22psi boost pressure
Replaced faulty high pressure fuel pump with new high pressure fuel pump
Knock control at most -0.5 degrees timing pull on one cylinder
same power
much safer air fuel ratio
most importantly efficiency and reliability

in light of this?
I do many things, on the mk4-mk7 platform, including hybrid turbos or big turbo applications, which I have a few under my belt already.

If JaseNZ or anyone would like to come on board?
there is so much more you'll gain other than a reliably faster car, but that's for existing customers to know and future customers to find out.

Others posted a few solid options as well.
So it's really your choice, always remembering the information provided before and after and knowledge are the most important factors to take into consideration
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

Lurch

yuck stay away from APR, they couldn't tune something well to save themselves, made that mistake many moons ago never again..

McDoof

As GLIDN says.
A good custom tune is going to provide you with the best tune for your particular car. Doing a tune on the road should give you the same if not a better tune than a tune done on a dyno. It means you car is tuned for real world air flow and load. The only thing you won't get is a pretty graph telling you how much power the car is making on that particular dyno.
No 2 cars are the same. So no 2 tunes should be the same
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

JaseNZ

At this stage I am holding off on the tune and instead with help from A little tuning here in Christchurch they are going to do the upgrade from MIB 1 infotainment to the 9.2" MIB 2 unit. Its a costly exercise and some people might say its a waste of time however its something that I really want to get done.  :)

A big thanks to A little tuning who have been super responsive to my requests.

Lurch

sounds like they are pulling your short and curlys. seems like a unnecessary exercise

GLIDN

the infotainment upgrade is absolutely worth the upgrade.
Especially if you have experienced both.

Good work.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

Naekyr

Quote from: GLIDN on May 15, 2019, 12:48:59 PM
the infotainment upgrade is absolutely worth the upgrade.
Especially if you have experienced both.

Good work.

Not enough cars on the market with the quality of life options like the upgraded infotainment and upgraded speakers

Out of interest, how much is the 9.2 system costing?

JaseNZ

Quote from: Naekyr on May 15, 2019, 02:29:04 PM
Not enough cars on the market with the quality of life options like the upgraded infotainment and upgraded speakers

Out of interest, how much is the 9.2 system costing?

3k , Not worried about cost as will be having this car from some time to come and it is just something I want done.

jkr

Anyone know what company GLIN is from tried to message about stage 1 but inbox full.

Trofeo

Quote from: jkr on February 08, 2020, 11:18:48 AM
Anyone know what company GLIN is from tried to message about stage 1 but inbox full.
HSP tuning. Highly recommend him too.
2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi