MK4 2.0L Stalls after 15 min of running and won't restart - SOLVED

Started by anonomouse, May 12, 2019, 05:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anonomouse

Hey all, I'm new to these forums so please let me know if I'm posting in the wrong place.

Problem:

I have a 2.0L golf that is stalling after running for 15 min, when I leave it for an hour I can start it back up and it will run for another 15 min then stall. If I fire it up after stalling it will turn over but not catch. I get a check engine light when it stalls.

Car details:

Model- Mk4 Golf
Year- 2002
Engine- APK
Transmission- 5 Speed Manual
No aftermarket mods done to car, all stock parts

Troubleshooting steps I've tried:

1. Checked all the fuses
2. Checked battery voltage and that the alternator is charging the battery
3. Replaced fuel filter as I thought it might be sediment build up that settles after a while (the car has lots of fuel in the tank and is sitting on the flat)
4. Checked spark with ignition tester, when the car stalls after 15 min and I turn it over it no longer gets spark until I've left it for an hour
5. Pulled the coil pack, spark plugs and spark plug leads, all seem in good condition, checked coil pack resistance and it seems good

Possible causes (I think... I'm really just a novice):

- Crank angle sensor is bad
- Something temperature related
- Some other electrical issue (I've had problems over the last year with the car resetting itself while driving, trip counter resets, air turns off then back on, sometimes the wipers wipe once, clock resets)

If you guys can think other causes or any further troubleshooting steps please let me know. I'm going to see if I can get a computer to pull the codes, just need to find one first...

Cheers!

PROBLEM NOW SOLVED: Bad crank angle sensor, replaced it car works sweet!

80 Vert

2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

anonomouse

Quote from: 80 Vert on May 12, 2019, 05:52:16 PM
Crank angle sensor

Thanks for reply, that's what I feared, was really hoping I wouldn't need to pull the the timing belt off

80 Vert

Don't need to take belt off. CAS is on front of block by flywheel.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

anonomouse

Quote from: 80 Vert on May 13, 2019, 01:35:27 PM
Don't need to take belt off. CAS is on front of block by flywheel.

Thanks for the help 80 Vert I really appreciate it, I replaced the Crank Angle Sensor and now the car runs sweet.

(Note to anyone replacing the CAS, try not to break the dipstick tube and let the bits fall down into the sump...)

The Red Warrior

That?s good to hear it?s all fixed and that 80 Vert told you the solution.
I suspect the fact that you tried to solve the problem yourself and gave a detailed description helped too. Not just the usual, my car isn?t working right.  Help.