anyone got a standard OBD2 scanner in Auckland?

Started by justanothernoob, May 12, 2019, 09:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justanothernoob

I'm looking at buying a 2nd hand Mercedes ML63 and need to run a scan. I have the genuine VAGCOM cable but I don't think it'll recognise anything non VAG?

Car is in Grey Lynn - I'm happy to pickup and leave deposit etc., ? - or does anyone know who sells them in Auckland for less than the cost of my first-born?

TIA

David

The Red Warrior

Aren?t they fairly cheap from places like Repco/Supercheap Auto?

justanothernoob

Repco do a Bosch unit for $300.
SupercheapAuto seem to do the same unit for $212.

Yes, $212 is cheaper than $300.

But then I see other sites (overseas) doing the same units for $44. Yes, that's NZ dollars.

And DickSmiths do a unit for less than 20 bucks that talks to your Android phone. But ... it'll take about 4 days to get here from Australia.

So I totally get that it's about supply and demand, with local guys having it "in stock" - but I just can't justfiy dropping my pants to be raped by local suppliers when there are clearly cheaper (more reasonable) options if I had the time to wait.
Especially if I end up NOT buying the Merc and stick with Audi ? well then I already have my 4/500 dollar investment in the VAGCOM :)

Hence asking if anyone else already has one that they don't mind lending me.

The reality is, I'm gonna order the DickSmiths $19 unit anyway so in about a week or so, if anyone else is in the same situation, I'll be happy to assist. I'm just hoping there's someone else out there who thinks the same way.

HaNs

Quote from: justanothernoob on May 12, 2019, 09:27:01 PM
I'm looking at buying a 2nd hand Mercedes ML63 and need to run a scan. I have the genuine VAGCOM cable but I don't think it'll recognise anything non VAG?

Car is in Grey Lynn - I'm happy to pickup and leave deposit etc., ? - or does anyone know who sells them in Auckland for less than the cost of my first-born?

TIA

David

VCDS has a generic mode which will pick up codes no problem

justanothernoob

Thanks - great to know :)  Just googled that and it looks like any Euro from 2001 onwards and American from 2008 onwards work with VCDS in Generic Mode. Fingers crossed :)

McDoof

Just buy an ELM327 off trademe. Works with the torque app on any phone. Will read and clear all normal generic codes. Won't do things like ABS or airbag faults though.
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

justanothernoob

that's the one I've ordered from Dick Smiths for 19 buckaroos  :)

It sounds like the VAGCOM will suffice but the ELM will be good as a backup for any cars that won't play nicely with the VAGCOM