MMI 3GP conversion done, where do I find NZ maps?

Started by scottjjr, May 21, 2019, 09:57:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ERRRNO

I?m literally in hysterics. Very enlightening thread.
Black 3door Mk4 TDI - Elite Motorsport Hyper miler
Tornado Red Mk5 2.0 TFSI Variant - Elite Motorsport Stage 2
White Mk6 GTI DSG - Elite Motorsport Stage 1

portmanteau

Quote from: ERRRNO on July 25, 2019, 05:25:05 PM
I?m literally in hysterics. Very enlightening thread.

and long overdue imo

If you go into any of the major GPS forums the sticky at the top of the page is usually "SELLING OF MAPS IS PROHIBITED"

sharing, however, is encouraged in those forums
'94 S2 Avant N300 Nothelle, '94 S2 Sedan '84 urq,'80 Golf GTI replica, '83 Rocco GTI, '99 TT, '07 Q7, '99 S4 Avant, '86 90Q, '63 DKW Junior, other non-VAG collectibles, & 2 lonely 200Q

eregnier

Did anyone figure out how to get Australia/NZ maps finally?

portmanteau

'94 S2 Avant N300 Nothelle, '94 S2 Sedan '84 urq,'80 Golf GTI replica, '83 Rocco GTI, '99 TT, '07 Q7, '99 S4 Avant, '86 90Q, '63 DKW Junior, other non-VAG collectibles, & 2 lonely 200Q

bigfoot0387

Quote from: Alittletuningco on July 20, 2019, 02:05:36 PM
Like to know how these conversion are dodgy?

If you are lucky enough to find a unit that has the tuner included (bigger than an A3, or the new MIB and they are separate units) and one that isn?t blacklisted by Audi?s ODIS system, and you have the contact to remove CP then you can convert it cheaper.

Otherwise for 2G:
1) Replace radio (Japanese hardware is totally different)
2) Replace NAV (Japanese hardware is totally different)
3) Flash new firmware and burn map discs

For 3G/3G+:
1) Replace radio (hardware won?t pick up NZ frequencies) - and also have to remove CP
2) Change main unit eeprom with correct language packs
3) Change firmware to make the hardware know it?s a Eu/ROW unit (hardware is the same, variant is different)
4) Install maps
5) Activate maps
6) Fix maps database else you?ll just get a ?database is initialising? error

For MIB:
1) Find unit and then get it converted by VIN locking it to the new car (good luck)

It?s an involved process that the majority of people who offer this have spent a few years doing so. You?re not paying for the hardware, it?s the knowledge of how to do this plus recover in the unlikely event it goes wrong.

Can you possibly advise what "the fix" is for step 6 on the 3g+ units? I am at this point and could do with your help. Happy to pay for your time. Many thanks