17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

Naekyr

schattenblau

Gordo

I'm confused - you guys think it is a good idea to drop trying to catch the damners* who run red lights - often at speed?
While I do have an issue with some speed camaras, especially their siting, I don't see how folks can thing red light running is OK?

*You know word I used and, if it applies to you, perhaps you should review your driving?
These are my thoughts and opinions - sometimes I'm wrong, but not often ;-)

schattenblau

keep the redlight cameras, stuff the speed cameras

>:D

JaseNZ

Quote from: schattenblau on May 22, 2019, 07:07:48 PM
keep the redlight cameras, stuff the speed cameras

>:D

Yup agree red light camera's = Yes , Speed camera's = No
Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding : Ice cream man , Ice cream man

McDoof

I think red light cameras should be at every intersection. Red light running is a rampant problem and is dangerous.
As for speed cameras. It depends on placement. I have no issue with permanent speed cameras in areas that are known for high speed accidents. These serve a purpose of slowing people down in those areas. In the early 2000s these were all over the UK. Big bright yellow boxes that you can see from miles away. Nothing covert.
As for random, revenue generators that are put up purely to make money. 100% against that. Should that even be legal?
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

Naekyr

In some places it's not - I suspect in the USA prior to the speed camera ban, the driver has to be made aware of the upcoming camera.

I'd like to see the same laws adopted here - I see signs go up "warming red light camera" - so there should be signs for speed cameras too and random cameras inside cop cars on the side of the road should be 100% ILLEGAL.

And yes red light cameras should be at every intersection - however this won't happen due to cost, those cameras cost over $100k each

McDoof

Quote from: Naekyr on May 23, 2019, 10:08:11 AM
those cameras cost over $100k each
There is another example of daylight robbery. With the price of tech, these days. They should be able to do a full, solar powered system that feeds data back to a central point over a secure network for way less than that.
Even if they spent $500k on development of the system, it would be worthwhile.
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

schattenblau

dunno if you youngsters remember when speedcameras were first introduced in godzone but the areas they operated in were clearly signposted.

that had some effect on slowing people down unlike the current regime of chasing the horse after it has bolted from the stable.

$100k a pop is clear US DOD milspec pricing !

Pristle

People still slow down dramatically where the old cameras used to be.

Red light runners are on the increase. I have no issue with those cameras. Static speed cameras become cash cows and don't always improve traffic safety.