5-Speed Auto Transmission

Started by SAM_LOUI, June 04, 2019, 01:54:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SAM_LOUI

Hi guys,

Just wondering if the 5-Speed Auto Transmission on a 2004 MK4 GTI Golf is serviceable? or are they commonly known for issues?

I've owned a MK4 Golf with the 4-Speed Auto transmission and it was fairly alright servicing it. But coming across in my new 5-Speed and after doing some research, there isn't much information in regards to serving a 5-Speed Auto gearbox. Just mainly a 5-Speed gearbox for the Manuals.

Problem is, When I drive the car and feel the car go from 2nd to 3rd gear, it revs all the way up to 3k rpm and then changes. Its quite an unusual thing because it hasn't happened to me before and it just recently been doing that, now and then. having experiencing this kind of behaviour in the past with my 4-Speed Im assuming that the fluid is low and I need to replace the filter. But then again, after reading posts in the internet about the 5-Speed, its quite uncommon?

Any thoughts or Ideas what it could be?

Thanks
2007 MK5 GOLF GTI ED30
2004 MK4 GOLF GTI - SOLD
1999 MK4 GOLF 1.8 NA - SOLD

80 Vert

Those gearboxes are a piece of crap unfortunately, Japanese made Jatco.
It does sound like it's low on fluid but it doesn't have a dip stick so I'd strongly advise you have it serviced and you might be ok.
The best place by far is Auckland Automatics in Onehunga.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration