car shuddering/shaking when idle

Started by MK2000, June 25, 2019, 01:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MK2000

Hey how's everyone going  :)

New member here

I got my VW Golf TSI from Christchurch in December of last year. So far so good. It's a nice ride and the most I had to change were the windscreen wipers (apparently they were not the right ones) in addition to having to re-calibrate the air conditioning in the car.

I was wondering if anybody has experienced the car shaking/shuddering when idle. I've been noticing this at stoplights or when idle in traffic. It's not exactly improving or getting worse but it's kinda there in the background and likes to make itself known every now and then. I took it to the mechanic and he couldn't sense it. The car has done 38,000km only

any advice would be quite appreciated

Naekyr

spark plugs or coil packs would be my guess - or at least I hope for your sake it's as something simple and easy to fix as this

most importantly - get a scan done, check if the shaking is cylinder misfires

The Red Warrior

From your other post I see it?s the 1.4l. Is it the twin charged version?
Does it feel like it?s the gearbox/clutches or the engine?

MK2000

yes it's the turbocharged version

I can't quite tell but from my past experience with something similar on the previous car it's probably the spark plugs, so maybe an engine issue

the shaking happens out of the blue and is abrupt. i can feel it in the driver's seat but also on the front passenger's side.

The Red Warrior

So, turbocharged but not supercharged as well. Therefore it?s the 90kw version. The twin charged version is known for being very unreliable and problematic.
Without seeing/hearing it?s hard to say, but my guess would be the clutch packs.

The fact that it?s low mileage doesn?t mean too much. My wife?s twin charged one needed a new engine after only 3 years and 20,000k. That was with a full service history at Giltrap Volkswagen too.

MK2000

damn! a new engine, how much did that cost?

yeah a fuel injected turbo charged engine. I have some images of it but for some reason am not able to upload them

also the gearbox is a bit jittery on lower gears (1 and 2) but maybe that's because of the way I drive

McDoof

NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

McDoof

Fairly common issue with those being juddery. My brother has a 1.8TSI passat with that same gearbox. They eventually replaced the clutches under warranty. Problem gone.
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

MK2000

Quote from: McDoof on June 28, 2019, 12:13:39 PM
Fairly common issue with those being juddery. My brother has a 1.8TSI passat with that same gearbox. They eventually replaced the clutches under warranty. Problem gone.

i see. probably take it to a mechanic to have it sorted out. do you know any good ones in chch?

Alittletuningco

Service Pro on Ferry Road, or Dubworld, or DCH automotive.

MK2000