new set of problems

Started by MK2000, July 13, 2019, 04:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MK2000

my 2012 TSI seems to have developed a few problems all of a sudden.

1- my rear window wiper decided to stop working. Not only that but it doesn't spray either so can't wash the rear window.

2- The interior dome lights are constantly on unless manually switched off. In the past it used to be that you could put them in the AUTO setting and they shine when you unlock the car or when you park it and remove the keys. Now it's no different than having them in the ON setting all the time.

3- The reverse camera doesn't work. This has happened twice before although I'm guessing this is a problem with the head unit

4- The multi display unit seems to be stuck in the vehicle display mode. unless it's reset it the display doesn't change.

I'm getting the car serviced this week and if you have any feedback please do let me know

Worms

Does it think the boot is open all the time? The latch or wiring may have a fault - making the car think the boot is open.

MK2000

yes, it would seem so.

i do recall now that the rear wiper malfunctioned in conjunction with the head unit on another occasion but then it returned to normal again after 2-3 days. this time it's not doing that anymore. I think the head unit was not installed properly and is mucking up things

McDoof

So, if this is the same issue I had, then you have possibly got a snapped wire in the boot hinge rubber boot.
The bit of rubber that runs between the boot lid and the top of the roof on either side of the lid.
Mine was intermittent and kept setting off the alarm.

If the boot is showing as open, then you have got a short rather than a broken wire though.
The open position is a complete circuit. Closed position is an open circuit.

It could also be a problem inside the boot latch.
There are 2 micro switches inside. One that turns on the boot light, the other that operates the open/close sensor
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

MK2000

Quote from: McDoof on July 15, 2019, 09:39:47 AM
So, if this is the same issue I had, then you have possibly got a snapped wire in the boot hinge rubber boot.
The bit of rubber that runs between the boot lid and the top of the roof on either side of the lid.
Mine was intermittent and kept setting off the alarm.

If the boot is showing as open, then you have got a short rather than a broken wire though.
The open position is a complete circuit. Closed position is an open circuit.

It could also be a problem inside the boot latch.
There are 2 micro switches inside. One that turns on the boot light, the other that operates the open/close sensor

the problem turned out to be simpler and that is that the car's trunk wasn't shut fully. However I've had some "explosive" sounds come from the head unit so i'm assuming there are some blown fuses. Also it seems that the reversing camera in the head unit was going out with the car's trunk not being shut properly, the mechanic said that they've earthed the wiring in such a way that this happens and that he would have done it differently. i didnt quite understand it