Danger of increased carbon build up with 100 octane if not up-tuned?

Started by Chchgti35, August 15, 2019, 07:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chchgti35

Have been using 100 octane for some months now, engine tune hasn?t been changed from stock as concerned about warranty issues (VW dealer used car warranty), is there a likelihood of increased carbon buildup if running 100 octane with stock tune ?

Naekyr

ranton-inc

Quote from: Chchgti35 on August 15, 2019, 07:07:26 PM
Have been using 100 octane for some months now, engine tune hasn?t been changed from stock as concerned about warranty issues (VW dealer used car warranty), is there a likelihood of increased carbon buildup if running 100 octane with stock tune ?

It wont make any difference.

Carbon build up is symptomatic of Direct Injection not Octane Levels.

mark2 golf

Just make sure its not leaded. I was told the av spec 100 octane still has lead.
89 mk2 1.8t
97 mk3 gti 1.8t
90 190e 2.6
17 Amarok v6
09 golf gti

ranton-inc

Quote from: mark2 golf on August 16, 2019, 07:20:01 AM
Just make sure its not leaded. I was told the av spec 100 octane still has lead.

There is a difference between AV gas, NPD?s 100 is a widely available fuel in the south island it is definately unleaded

I am fairly certain it is illegal to pump Leaded fuel directly in to cars or use it on the road, which is why when buying ?Race Gas? or AV1 you need to put it in to a fuel container and only run it when you are at ?the track?

Pretty certain most actual aviation fuel is still leaded because of its Stability in the environment it is used

ERRRNO

As mentioned above. I run all my cars on NPD100 and I can see the differences even on a stock vehicle. I tune them all the time and often see stock cars come to me with 95 octane in the tank. I know because I see timing pull in the logs at low rpm especially. Timing pull happens when ignition knock occurs if you didn?t know. Higher octane fuels are more resistant to preignition. Which is a good thing.

There is no risk of extra carbon build up because of fuel octane levels.

If you run 100octane fuel you should consider a stage 1 tune that will make it run at optimum power and fuel economy. I am happy to put a file together for you ;)
Black 3door Mk4 TDI - Elite Motorsport Hyper miler
Tornado Red Mk5 2.0 TFSI Variant - Elite Motorsport Stage 2
White Mk6 GTI DSG - Elite Motorsport Stage 1

Chchgti35

Hi there, thanks got the offer. As it has a VW NZ Used Car warranty I am very wary of altering anything from Factory until the warranty expires however we may not keep the vehicle that long anyhow. We just today had the second orange engine check light after the first one back in June (Charcoal canister replacement required) so finger crossed this won?t be anything major. I thought my son?s alfa was an anxiety generator but this car is seriously testing us.

ERRRNO

Nah don?t worry about it too much. I?m happy to plug into it and help diagnose the CEL if you want. I?m in the New Brighton area.
Black 3door Mk4 TDI - Elite Motorsport Hyper miler
Tornado Red Mk5 2.0 TFSI Variant - Elite Motorsport Stage 2
White Mk6 GTI DSG - Elite Motorsport Stage 1

Chchgti35

Thanks, took it into ChCh VW dealership on Monday afternoon, they scanned it and it was PCV fault. Replaced the valve (had one in stock lucky me) and all covered by warranty. Pretty good service having only phoned them at 8.30 that morning.