WTD: Mk1 Golf fuel pump relay bypass

Started by bugn8r, August 18, 2019, 06:39:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugn8r

Has anyone seen one of these in NZ before?

Turns out VW had a recall on them in 82 and the bypass was their solution to an overheating problem on the fuel pump pin running into the rear of the fusebox. I'm in need of one if anyone has one lying around before I make my own.

Cheers

mk2mitch

I'm not too sure on the specifics of the recall but isn't bypassing the fuel pump relay dangerous?
If you're for example in an accident and the car cuts out, that relay is triggered off the ignition coil and will also cause the fuel pump to stop. If you bypass it will just keep pumping fuel until you switch the ignition off.
- Golf MK2 GTI
- Golf MK3 GLI
- Golf MK2 CL

bugn8r

It's not a relay bypass sorry, it's the old fuel pump power pin by bypass.

Relocates the relay to the top of the fuebox with a new power line etc.

dubstar

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

vdubdave

The kit isn?t available from VW - but the relay plate (that you attach to the top of the fuse box) can be got from volkswagenclassic.de

I?ve found the getting them via mecatechnic in France is pretty quick.... then you can make one up yourself....

I did - got the right pins etc from autoelectricalsupplies in the UK...

82 GTi Cabriolet EG engine
82 GTi Pretender PG engine
03 Supercharged V6 24v 4 Motion

dubstar

They are also the same relay plate used on 924s.  Mine cost $10 from the local porsche breaker
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

bugn8r

Cheers guys,

Update - Got a new fusebox from Lane which also came with a new white plug in the rear (the one the fuel pump had melted the corner of off completely) and the clip on relay holder you guys are taking about so have already started making my own loom!

For getting the small round pins out I've just purchased an 18 piece universal pin tool from trademe so hoping that works!

The Red Warrior

I found those 18 piece tools on trademe you mention. They look the same as a 32 piece set that I recently got from eBay. Even with that many tools I still had to modify one to fit the smaller pins on a mk5 golf door controller plug.
I then looked at the Hazet tools and decided I can?t really justify buying them for the small amount of wiring I do, despite being a tool whore at work.

dubstar

The round pin tools are available from jaycar. It looks like a black syringe.