Passat failed WOF for towbar

Started by Pristle, August 23, 2019, 11:43:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pristle

Well before going to the WOF shop yesterday, I checked through everything: a couple of new external globes; replaced connectors for O2 sensor; fitted new tyres & brake pads. All set.

No. Failed.  :(   Towbar. Same shop has issued the past 3 warrants, never an issue. But credit to them and a new team member, they checked it this time and found vertical movement. Turns out that the wrong towbar was fitted to the car by a previous owner.

I took the car to BestBars and they confirmed that the fitted unit is for a 4Motion car as opposed a FWD. The vertical dimension of the rear section of the chassis is different between the two, by about 35mm. Who knew?

Options are: remove it, replace it, or retrofit with some form of packing to take up the slack.
I have been thinking the latter, perhaps using some high density polyurethane. Any thoughts?

Pristle

Grrr.....whoever fitted the towbar managed to strip 3 of the 4 bolts.

the phantom

Quote from: Pristle on August 23, 2019, 11:43:49 AM
Options are: remove it, replace it, or retrofit with some form of packing to take up the slack.
I have been thinking the latter, perhaps using some high density polyurethane. Any thoughts?

towbar? it's got to be steel to take the forces
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

Pristle

Perhaps you misunderstand. The towbar has vertical play, about 10cm at the ball. The inside height of the chassis rail in the 4Motion versions is about 10mm shorter than the FWD.

The idea is to place a slab of nylon or urethane (not the soft variety) underneath the arms of the towbar, between them and the bottom of the chassis rail.  A UK towbar vendor suggests a rubber wedge.

Have been to three shops this past week, none helpful. One suggested just cut the bar at the arms, another said "we'll cut the bolts off at the top and the nuts at the bottom. What's a nutsert?" The last one suggested maybe a panel beater as they'd be touch up damaged paint.

brian

A nutsert is a nut installed like a rivet.................to be avoided if possible from my experience
I look on them as a last resort.
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

Pristle

At least you know what it is, the one shop I took it to had no clue.