Headunit suggestions Mk5 Gti 2008

Started by Jimbo, September 04, 2019, 01:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimbo

Hi all,

Looking for suggestions for headunits. Currently has the factory standard one in place.

Cheers
Current: Stage 2 VW MK5 GTi 2008 NZ New

Past:
Mk6 Gti
Audi A3 3.2

McDoof

Depends on what you want to achieve.
As your car is NZ new, you will probably want to retain the steering wheels controls. So you have 3 options.
1. Get a proper VW headunit with the features you want. It should just plug and play. But it will be expensive.
2. Get a Chinese almost VW headunit. There are RCD 330G clones on Aliexpress in varying forms. Some support only Apple Carplay, others support both apple and Android auto. These generally will not support external amplifiers.
3. Get a Chinese Android based headunit. Lots of choices. Some good some bad. Some will support Apple Carplay. Most will not support Android Auto. Although there is an app called Headunit reloaded that will fill that gap.
4. Get a decent Double DIN stereo with all the features you want. You will need to get a fitting kit to make it fit the dash and a "Connects 2" canbus decoder in order to install. This is the most expensive option, other than the OEM upgrade but will give you the best sound.

NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

avi.m

As McDoof as mentioned, it totally depends on what you want. I went with an OEM RCD510 back in 2014 when I purchased my Mk5 GTI. Meets all my needs, retains factory aesthetics, and easy on the wallet (unless you want BT, which requires the additional BT module). Also has a USB connection via cable. But goodluck finding a brand new one now, even used ones are rare but pop up on TM once in a while.

Curious to know what setup you go with..
Mk5 GTI Pirelli Ed.

schattenblau

rcd510 will need a new canbus unless you have a very late mk5 ?

a very nice unit, as was the  older rcd500.

they don't have all the bells and whistles of the chinese units but will beat them on sound quality, especially with fm radio.

avi.m

Mine a 2009, the last of the Mk5. Sound quality was top of the list, and the 6CD changer is nice to have (yes, I still listen to music on CDs). USB cable in glove box for digital music playback, and also recognizes iPhone with no issues. Don't expect fast charging though, actually far from it.
Mk5 GTI Pirelli Ed.

Jimbo

Hey guys,

Haven?t managed to get round to sorting out the audio yet. Been spending too much to make it go fast 😂 Stage 2 so downpipe intake etc. But it?s the next thing i?ll be onto.

Past:
Mk6 Gti
Audi A3 3.2

avi.m

Quote from: Jimbo on November 13, 2019, 02:58:07 PM
Hey guys,

Haven?t managed to get round to sorting out the audio yet. Been spending too much to make it go fast 😂 Stage 2 so downpipe intake etc. But it?s the next thing i?ll be onto.

I see that you went from a Mk6 GTI to a Mk5 GTI. Mk6 that unimpressive, or did the engine go boom?
Mk5 GTI Pirelli Ed.

Jimbo

It was under a 3 year VW extended warranty so was not really able to do the whole nine yards with it. So left me with cash to get a tidy mk5 and do all the mods 😃 And after driving it for a few months I definitely prefer the driving feel of the Mk5 vs Mk6.

Past:
Mk6 Gti
Audi A3 3.2

avi.m

Quote from: Jimbo on November 14, 2019, 12:26:55 AM
It was under a 3 year VW extended warranty so was not really able to do the whole nine yards with it. So left me with cash to get a tidy mk5 and do all the mods 😃 And after driving it for a few months I definitely prefer the driving feel of the Mk5 vs Mk6.

Yeah, pretty much what others have said (i.e. the Mk5 gives a better driving experience). Not just on the forums, but reviewers too. Then things got even better with the Mk7, so they say.

Just intake and DP on your stage 2 GTI? Any work to the suspension and brakes?
Mk5 GTI Pirelli Ed.

Jimbo

Yup exactly, the driving experience is so much better. Mk6 felt far too refined. Yup just downpipe and CTS Turbo intake. Will probably go for some ST lowering springs and brakes too. Any recommendations on brakes?

Past:
Mk6 Gti
Audi A3 3.2

Alittletuningco

Unless you are tracking the car - just some good fluid and pads. Not much else needed.

avi.m

Some ceramic pads like EBC redstuff (kevlar and ceramic), and DOT 4 compliant (at the least) fluid.
Mk5 GTI Pirelli Ed.

Jimbo

An RNS510 has popped up on trademe. Are they pretty much plug and play or require some Vagcom coding to get working properly?

Past:
Mk6 Gti
Audi A3 3.2

Jimbo

Ended up going with the RCD330. Install was easy enough and love having Apple CarPlay. Handy having the steering wheel controls working as well with cambus upgrade.

Past:
Mk6 Gti
Audi A3 3.2

SAM_LOUI

Quote from: Jimbo on February 13, 2020, 02:34:37 PM
Ended up going with the RCD330. Install was easy enough and love having Apple CarPlay. Handy having the steering wheel controls working as well with cambus upgrade.

Where did you pick one up from? And are there any extra mods needed to connect with the steering wheel controls?
2007 MK5 GOLF GTI ED30
2004 MK4 GOLF GTI - SOLD
1999 MK4 GOLF 1.8 NA - SOLD

Brett

Quote from: SAM_LOUI on May 05, 2020, 08:48:39 AM

Where did you pick one up from? And are there any extra mods needed to connect with the steering wheel controls?

Steering wheel controls likely won't work in a 2007 car.(May be incorrect here)

Aliexpress is the go to for RCD330. Just make sure you upgrade canbus to avoid parasitic battery drain.
Previous:MKIII Golf GL, MKIV Golf GTI, E36 325i, E36 323i, B5 S4 sedan, C32 AMG, B5 S4 avant, BMW 740iL, MKV Golf Gti 2dr.

Current:
Company car
Weekend toy-2007 Golf Gti Edition 30

Pristle

Send a message to GILDN. He's almost the goto guy for all things ICE.

GLIDN

thanks Pristle.

I have OEM upgrades, aftermarket to full blown systems installed and fibreglass boxes etc.
All pretty easy, once we have a better understanding of what you're tring to achieve.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning