Mk5 headliner.

Started by The Red Warrior, September 09, 2019, 09:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Red Warrior

Has anyone on here had a NZ new mMk5 that?s had the roof/head liner start to sag?
All the ones I?ve seen have been Jap imports and I wondered if there climate compared to ours would make the glue break down faster.
My car ?s headliner is still perfect but I know once they go, they deteriorate quite quickly. My car is a Jap import, but was imported here only 1 year old so wondered if that had had any effect on it. 
The reason I ask it that I picked up a newly retrimmed headliner out of a GTI today and am wondering whether to sell it or keep it for myself in case I need it eventually. My car has a sunroof and I didn?t think a new headliner for a sunroof version would come up for sale very often.

gti5

i'd say hold on to it(if you got it at a good price) my import sunroof equipped gti had the issue but dealer got it sorted...was sent to a trimmer (out Henderson way) who removed it and respray glued it back - holds up fine (2years and counting) and can't tell that its been done - oem look no glue bleed etc.

Worms

We have 2 2006 Tourans.

Mine is NZ New, the Mrs is a jap import.

Her headlining is starting to sag at the back of the roof storage, mine is just barely pulling away in the corners. It's probably only a years difference.

The foam on my door panels is stuffed, hers is fine though.

I think it's more a time thing, with some of what each car is exposed to.

The foam WILL eventually break down.

McDoof

I have a 2005 NZ New GTI and my headliner is 100% perfect.

I assume you have been to Zebra?
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

The Red Warrior

spudatron

I had my MK5 headliner replaced here - http://www.headlinerheaven.co.nz for $450. The only problem I have noticed is the lights behind the sun visors don't work anymore, haven't tried to fix them though.

80 Vert

Having done a bunch of these I have no idea how anyone makes money doing them for 450 let alone do them in half a day as they claim.
When you consider that quality material alone costs around $120 doesn't leave much for labour and gst.
Last one I did was 550 and really marginal, should be 600-650 to be worth doing.
People have no idea what goes in to a quality job.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration