DSG Shifter Bugging the F**k out of me.

Started by Niz, October 04, 2019, 09:32:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Niz

I havent posted on here in many many many years but I think this may be a good place to start with this question/ramble.

While on the track with my MK6 Gti, I found using the paddles to be quite tedious when trying to shift whilst cornering. Using the shifter is no better as its  inverted to a normal 'sequential shifter' with pushing forward to shift up and backward to shift down. This doesnt feel natural and takes away concentration when trying to focus on the track.

I understand that this is something designed for the everyday user to figure out and use with ease and it something i can probably get used to but is there a way to invert the switch to shift up with backward motion and down with forward?
When life gives you lemons, throw them at pedestrians

schattenblau

on the track dsg has bigger problems than the backwards shift movement of the gear lever   ;D

i did some research on this when i had a mk5 gti and afaik no one has effected a swap.

most comments were along the lines of mission impossible.

current audi/vw still have the backwards shift, even regular (non-gt) porsches only recently got a proper shift.

have you considered paddle extensions ?

you should have all your braking, gear shifting done before you enter the corner   ;D

Filx

How's your French? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTI0XLuIDxU&feature=youtu.be Assuming Mk6 DSG wiring etc is the same/similar this might work?

I found paddle extensions helped a lot, they are still annoying but less so than trying to use the stock paddles. I find DSG on track quite frustrating (and a lot less fun) so the best solution I can offer is go to a manual trans car, but that's probably not the answer you're looking for.  >:D

FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

Niz

@schattenblau

For the track work I'm doing the DSG is fine. I haven't tried extensions yet but that may be the thing i have to settle with.

It's not about entering the corner, more so getting on the shift at corner exist. T5 at Manfield in particular.

@Flix. Thats quite interesting eh. Is that DSG though? looks like an auto
When life gives you lemons, throw them at pedestrians

schattenblau

my dsg gti was never in the right gear for manfeild  :(

T5 is a bugger for most road cars

what times are you doing ?

Filx

Quote from: Niz on October 07, 2019, 01:58:53 PM

@Flix. Thats quite interesting eh. Is that DSG though? looks like an auto

Ahhh yes right, yes looks more like the tipo shifter than DSG.
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning