finally a GTI 16V!!!!

Started by Period_Correct_, October 23, 2019, 07:36:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Period_Correct_

Hello,

Brendon let me drive his black mk2 GTI 16V around 10 years ago and since then I've always wanted one, and now I have. yay!

on the weekend I picked up a 1989 Helios Blue GTI 16V. It is completely intact and original which is a first for me when buying old cars. I love it!

The car needs some TLC with cleaning, detailing and a piece of mind service.
Going through the forum it appears the last time I had a VW was 2010, and some of you will remember it being a MK2 Jetta.
Wow, time accelerates! I am looking forward to summer cruising this year.  8)

:) :)
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

RS ZWEI

1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

McDoof

Poor Neil missed out. He's gutted
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

spooln

I hope it took hours to get there in the traffic... >:( Anyhow is it as good as it looked...?
77 CS1 Fiat Spider. 78 Mk1 Scirocco. 83 Mk1 GTI. 12 Abarth 595C Competizione. 18 Golf R. 20 Kodiaq vRS

Period_Correct_

Hi Neil, yeah its an honest car. It isn?t mint but it?s all there if that makes sense. Original speakers and radio, rear back board isn?t cut up, Original gearknob, sunroof doesn?t leak, all the trim is in good condition. The bad parts are the paint isn?t in the best condition as it has a little pitting which I hope to remove with a deep cut and polish. The clear coat is oxidising in a few tiny spots but overall I think the car is in great shape. A spot of a rust on the passengers door at the middle top of the rubber lining which is pushing the lining out a little.

I enjoy cleaning and detailing so will take my time getting to these items.

Mechanically it goes really well, however It ran a little hot on the way home but it might of been a loose water bottle cap as I noticed that when I got home. Other than that I can?t really fault it.

Sorry you missed it. When I saw it I knew I had to act fast so I had approval from
The mrs the night prior and got my A into G and had the kids ready by 8 so I could be in Devonport before 9 to see the car.

There will be better cars I?m sure. I think Lane in Wellington has a good car for sale also. I don?t have any details on it tho.

Cheers,
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

phil

Really does sound like my twin !!..... Helios blue, 16v - all there, solid, bad clear coat and runs hot !! Just like mine :-)