Golf Mk8

Started by schattenblau, October 24, 2019, 06:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Naekyr

That gear lever = maximum puke

Pretty clear that VW is heading towards an EV future with these designs, pure yuck

B5Passat

I don't like how they did the screen above the centre console. Looks like an after though

brian

Quote from: B5Passat on October 25, 2019, 12:57:37 PM
I don't like how they did the screen above the centre console. Looks like an after though

Sadly those stuck on 'tablets' seem to be the way the world is moving and I agree, looks b****y awful to dsecribe it kindly
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

Naekyr

Quote from: brian on October 25, 2019, 02:20:28 PM
Sadly those stuck on 'tablets' seem to be the way the world is moving and I agree, looks b****y awful to dsecribe it kindly

And I can't wait to see what happens to the import market.

I had a friend recently look at a nissan leaf x model and the dealer simply told him the screen can't be replaced/converted and you buy it as is with everything in japanese end of story.

I fear that's the future - we've lost any semblance of standards - imagine you buy an imported mk8 golf - how are you suppose to replace all those screens to get english gps, radio etc now that every car is using it's own proprietary dash

slowmo

I have a Leaf and the screen and dash has been converted to english. Tell your friend to find a better dealer hahaha
Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

Naekyr

Quote from: slowmo on October 25, 2019, 10:05:21 PM
I have a Leaf and the screen and dash has been converted to english. Tell your friend to find a better dealer hahaha

Nah it depends on the model - there are various sub models for the leaf and each has it's own electronics for some reason - some of them you can easily replace the screen but the one he was looking at was not easy.

He eventually found a place in Auckland that could do the job but they apparently quoted $4k - was told on that model of leaf the screen also controlled a lot of the car's functions and they not only had to open up the dash but they have to install a special unit in so that the car actually functions properly.

Has a quick little google

QuoteStarting with the AZE0-2 X and G spec built from 2016 onward, Nissan moved from the previous ?Carwings? generation of audio/navigation units to the newer ?Nissan Connect? type with some added functionality and an entirely new user interface. The audio/navigation unit on these models cannot be easily replaced with a complete aftermarket unit without losing some significant functionality within the car.

It is possible to fit the equivalent European version from the same generation of Leaf, although these are expensive and difficult to source.

the phantom

Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

JaseNZ

Yeah does not look like that much of a change from the outside really looks more like a refresh than a new platform. Speaking of which is it a new platform >> mib 3 ??.

I do like the idea of every option being installed in the car and if you want to enable it you can down the track.
Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding : Ice cream man , Ice cream man

rambo_005

It's based on the same MQB platform as the Mk7, but it's a slightly updated version.

schattenblau

GOLF badge and fake exhausts are nafff

not a fan of all these touchy screens doing everything

give me knobs !

;D

avi.m

Haven't been a fan since Mk7 tbh. The Ed40, performance pack and R are okay, but not the standard GTI. For me, Mk6 is the best looking, and Mk5 the most fun to drive. Just my $2.
Mk5 GTI Pirelli Ed.

McDoof

Looks like the 6MT is still going to be available though
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

Naekyr

in new zealand? doubt it

everyone drives manual in Europe, so manual will be around for a while yet, they may even try to make manual electric cars if there is demand over there.

schattenblau

CAR magazine giant test Feb 2020 - new VW Golf v BMW 1 -series v Ford Focus

8)

Naekyr

eek.

Both Ford and BMW upped their game.

If these three cars were priced the same, right now I'd get the BMW or the Ford, Golf in last place. I just can't get on board with the golf, its exterior design looks even more outdated now than ever and the interior just doesn't do it for me, like its trying too hard. The Golf's interior works better in an Audi where it's matched up with nice premium materials.

rambo_005

The GTI, GTD and GTE are now out. That just leaves the GTI TCR and R models and Variant body style to come.

The GTI with a 2.0 TSI making 245hp/180kW and 370Nm of torque.
www.motor1.com/news/400906/vw-golf-gti-debut

The GTD with a 2.0 TDI making 197hp/147kW and 400Nm of torque.
www.motor1.com/news/400917/vw-golf-gte-gtd-debut

The GTE with a 1.4 TSI making 147hp/110kW combined with 114hp/85 kW electric motor. Total output is 241hp/180 kW, with 400Nm of torque.
www.motor1.com/news/400917/vw-golf-gte-gtd-debut

schattenblau

more ugly vag wheels.
you just know some muppet will get those directionals mixed up.
;D

Naekyr

Bit weak for the GTI, specs can be beaten by just a ecu tune on a mk5.

Thats probably where the TCR comes in, but based on what we've seen in NZ before - the TCR either wont be sold or will be in extremely limited numbers and sold at the same price as a Golf R, basically making it a non contender.

rambo_005

And now the R is out with 235kW and 420Nm. Manual or DSG.

www.motor1.com/news/452277/2022-volkswagen-golf-r-specs