RS3 8P tyres

Started by tonyoh, October 30, 2019, 01:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonyoh

I need a couple of rear tyres on the RS3. What are the recommendations? Reasonable grip but not top end performance required. More importantly, what to avoid.
Cheers
rs4 wagon (B5)

McDoof

Gonna come down to budget. Your size is probably not cheap. I am assuming stock wheels, so I think they are a 225 35R19 or a 235 35R19
Most people will steer you towards a Michelin PS4 if you can afford it. Very good tyres.
You could check out the roadstone N8000 for a half decent Asym tyre
I am currently running Nankang NS20 noble sport on my car and I have been pleasantly surprised. Not bad for a budget/mid tyre.

Generally keep clear of Triangle,  Linglong, Neuton.
These have been the worst of the tyres I have tried.
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

tonyoh

235-35 - 19's. low to mid $300's for Hankooks (I have on the RS4 and pretty happy with those). Not sure I can justify what looks like $600 a corner for the pilot sports.
rs4 wagon (B5)

schattenblau

there's an rs3 on tardeme fitted with laufenns

>:D

just no.

pirelli, hankook, toyo et al  do some decent cheapies.

tyre buyers get royally reamed in nz  :(

you could look at importing some yourself or if you know of anyone importing stuff, maybe you could get some tyres added to their shipment.

;D

Filx

Have a look at the Federal Evoluzion St1. I found them really, really good for "mid level" type money. They are quite soft though so not sure how much life one would get from them but they feel really nice on the car.
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

McDoof

https://www.hyperdrive.co.nz/product/97089/roadstone-n8000?associated=229854
Plus another 25% off on that price from what I can tell.
They are a decent tyre. Maybe a little soft, so don't expect huge mileage out of them

MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

schattenblau

i got a set of new ps4s out of uk landed for less that those !

i repeat, you have an rs3, don't skimp on rubber !

;D

ps what tyre are on the front ?

le mans

Who do you use in the UK?

Quote from: schattenblau on October 31, 2019, 02:11:26 PM

;D

schattenblau

https://www.camskill.co.uk/

missed the ?50 promo, would have saved even more.

albert7550

Not sure if 19" Michelins PS4s can be that much more expensive than 18", but I got 225/40/18s for my S3 from Chris at Tyretech in Glenfield at $280 each, including fitting and alignment. Special deal for VASKers.
2014 Audi S3
1992 VW Golf mk1 GTi Cabriolet
1970 Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1.3S

albert7550

Quote from: albert7550 on October 31, 2019, 09:34:39 PM
Not sure if 19" Michelins PS4s can be that much more expensive than 18", but I got 225/40/18s for my S3 from Chris at Tyretech in Glenfield at $280 each, including fitting and alignment. Special deal for VASKers.

Sorry, just noticed they are about $200 per corner more :o. Don't understand that... Still worth checking with Tyretech though...
2014 Audi S3
1992 VW Golf mk1 GTi Cabriolet
1970 Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1.3S

schattenblau

i found the PS4S was cheaper than PS4

;D

McDoof

Quote from: schattenblau on October 31, 2019, 02:11:26 PM

;D

Never even considered buying tyres out of the UK
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

80 Vert

Speaking of Chinese tyres........I had an interesting experience today.
Customer purchased a 2009 A4 Quattro Avant from a dealer and it came to me for a timing chain, headliner and service etc before it gets shipped to the customer.
I did the work that needed doing and on my test drive I was pushing the car a little through some corners and got quite a shock at how bad the car handled (dangerously so!!) so I started paying more attention exactly when it was mis behaving as it seemed the rear end wanted to come around.
Checked suspension and shocks which were all fine (as they should be at 60K)
Then looked that the tyres, near new Bridgestone Postenza on the front, brand new Kingstar on the rear!!
You could drive along straight and give a quick pull on the wheel and the rear end would sway as if it had bags of cement strapped to the rear bumper, VERY un nerving and down right dangerous.
So today Chris at Tyretech confirmed what I was thinking, the Kingstars were to blame, took them off and fitted another pair of new Potenzas to match the front and all ill handling is cured.
I'd sooner fit used branded tyres than new Chinese ones, still cannot believe that 2 tyres upset a car's handling that much.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

schattenblau

Naekyr

Quote from: schattenblau on November 01, 2019, 11:09:43 PM
a timely reminder about mixing tyres...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wo-9112aHw

See it all the time though

Quote from: 80 Vert on November 01, 2019, 06:04:32 PM
Speaking of Chinese tyres........I had an interesting experience today.
Customer purchased a 2009 A4 Quattro Avant from a dealer and it came to me for a timing chain, headliner and service etc before it.gets shipped to the customer.
I did the work that needed doing and on my test drive I was pushing the car a little through some corners and got quite a shock at how bad the car handled (dangerously so!!) so I started paying more attention exactly when it was mis behaving as it seemed the rear end wanted to come around.
Checked suspension and shocks which were all fine (as they should be at 60K)
Then looked that the tyres, near new Bridgestone Postenza on the front, brand new Kingstar on the rear!!
You could drive along straight and give a quick pull on the wheel and the rear end would sway as if it had bags of cement strapped to the rear bumper, VERY un nerving and down right dangerous.
So today Chris at Tyretech confirmed what I was thinking, the Kingstars were to blame, took them off and fitted another pair of new Potenzas to match the front and all ill handling is cured.
I'd sooner fit used branded tyres than new Chinese ones, still cannot believe that 2 tyres upset a car's handling that much.

I know heaps of people (not car people) who will just fit chinese tyres and even mix brands and models - zero damns given to safety.

They should at least make sure all 4 tyres are of the same brand and model during the WOF... tread and checking for punctures are not the only safety items when it comes to tyres.

tranquil

i recently fitted a set of bridgy S007A's (235/225) to my 8p RS3 as im after a super stiff sidewall which these have (also ran them on a C6 RS6).  They are not what id call a full dry weather extreme performance tyre but suitable for my application.  Michelin PSS's/PS4's are absolutely brilliant and i run those on a Focus RS but they are super pricey, but you very much get what you pay for

Bridgestone quite often run buy 3 get one free types deals, or buy 2 get 50% off the second tyre.  Taking advantage of a similar deal, the set of 4x S007A's were literally half the price of a set of PS4's when i priced up options.
E39A VR4
ST205 GT4 WRC
MK3 Focus RS
8P RS3

beeker

14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car