Started by Gumiebear, November 01, 2019, 09:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gumiebear

Imported
Full service history
75,000ks
Has DCC, ACC etc

Any thoughts ?

This would be my first time owning an R, could I have some thoughts on getting one?

☺️

JaseNZ

Take one for a drive if you haven't.

I have the 2014 R which was also imported, got mine through a dealer but for my own piece of mind I got a full service including, engine oil and flush, dsg service, coolant flush, brake fluid flush etc.

I love my car and would not have anything else  :)
Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding : Ice cream man , Ice cream man

LouieP

Nice car - Main thing these MQB cars suffer from is a crack in the thermostat housing (coolant leak) and early ones had turbo failure (is38) and the intake manifold cracking. Both thermostat housing and manifold are plastic. If you're not planning on modifying i'd get some mechanical insurance for peace of mind. Keep the servicing up to date and you should be gold.

I'd also go for an import over nz new because of the poor spec nz cars have.
NZ New MK3 Golf VR6 3 Door

schattenblau

LouieP

Quote from: schattenblau on November 02, 2019, 08:48:20 PM
what poor spec of nz cars ?
Things like Leather, DCC, Kessy (push to start), Active Cruise Control and all the lane assist safety features are all optional extras on nz new R's. These are standard on a Jap import (the mib ii with the bigger screen and nav is also more common on jdm cars). Majority of nz new Golf GTI's, R's are base spec. The only downfall of the jap's are no option of a panoroof or pretoria's.

schattenblau

none of that would sway me towards a jap import R.

they also get the bonus of a detuned engine.

;D

LouieP

Quote from: schattenblau on November 02, 2019, 11:38:10 PM
none of that would sway me towards a jap import R.

they also get the bonus of a detuned engine.

;D
Fair enough, each to their own. Why worry about detuned engines though when hybrid turbo's are readily available  :P :police:

JaseNZ

I like mine, it has the full DAC, DCC and Kessy package and everything else you could poke a stick at. I had a real good look around before purchasing mine even took a brand new one for a drive which had less options than mine and sitting in it I would be hard pressed to tell the difference to be honest.
Upgrading the MIB 1 to MIB 2.5 has given me a car for a good 35k less than a new one and probably better speced.
Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding : Ice cream man , Ice cream man

Essbe

I bought my 2014 imported one due to the fact that it has leather seats, DCC, KESSY, Panoramic roof...way better spec than the NZ ones. Heated seats are awesome in the winter too!

The earlier versions had known turbo failures but in saying that, mine ran fine for a few years on APR stage 2 high torque tune with no issues. Had it checked a few months ago and there was a tiny bit of play in the turbo but nothing major so I'm guessing its not that common?? I did have mine recently rebuilt and internals upgraded by Steve Murch as a pre-caution so no worries for me there now.

The other thing to check is the Haldex and make sure that is getting cleaned/serviced properly as well.

Nothing wrong with the Japanese "detuned" engines.....a quick stage 1 remap will sort that out pretty quickly and makes a huge difference!
MK7 Golf R | MSE hybrid turbo | ESP custom dyno tune

Gumiebear

Thanks for all the replies guys!

Means a lot,

Would the kms matter on the R? ( I know dumb question)

Cause I read low kms could be bad, cause they possibly would never had to warm up properly, or low short burst journeys. And with slightly higher kms it?s better? Cause the engine has been used, likely to have been warm for longer. I mean lots of factors to consider