Mk6 Golf R diff whine

Started by avi.m, October 26, 2019, 03:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

avi.m

Hi all, been a while since I?ve been on here. Anyway, I?m looking at upgrading from my Mk5 GTI Pirelli Edition to a Mk6 R. I test drove an R today, and everything seemed okay, except a slight whine coming from the rear. I?ve read that this is likely the Haldex/diff. Hoping someone could shed some light on this or point me in the right direction?

Cheers!
Mk5 GTI Pirelli Ed.

80 Vert

Look for another one, plenty to choose from.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

avi.m

Test drove another R today, and no whine whatsoever. APR Stage 1 with intake drove like a beast. And awesome sounds coming from the engine. If I don't find a clean R with decent mileage at a reasonable price, then I'd be tempted to Stage 1 my Pirelli Edition with intake for the added ear candy ;D
Mk5 GTI Pirelli Ed.

avi.m

Update: skipped on this R. Pre-inspection didn't pick up on any whine/noise from the rear/diff/haldex, not even a related fault code (which there were a bunch of others), though did pick up a whine from "front drivetrain". Also, a chain noise on cold start.
Mk5 GTI Pirelli Ed.

schattenblau

i'd keep your mk5.

the only R to better the equivalent GTI was the mk7 R

;D

avi.m

And so I've been told :). She's a beast (no tune), and not even an Ed35 or 8P S3 is near exciting. Only a 6R with APR stage 1, carbonio intake and sticky PS4 excited me just a little more, but at the same time scared the $h!t outa me (0-100).
Mk5 GTI Pirelli Ed.