Mk6 GTI - what to look out for?

Started by avi.m, November 05, 2019, 03:55:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

avi.m

Hi guys and gals

I am looking at purchasing a Mk6 GTI, and just wanted to know what to look out for? I know that this topic has been covered numerous times in other forums, and probably in this forum as well, so please feel free to link any useful discussions. This is what I have so far:

https://www.alexsautohaus.com/blog/common-problems-with-the-volkswagen-mk6-gti/

plus:
- gearbox (DSG) shudder
- stretched chain

Also, what will I be looking (i.e. cost) for an engine rebuild/recondition, is it necessary, and if so, can you recommend a place in Auckland?

Thanks.

Cheers!

Avi
Mk5 GTI Pirelli Ed.

80 Vert

All, 09 10 and 11 have old style chain and tensioner. Budget 12-1500 to have these replaced as when they let go you'll be doing major repairs.
The design was changed late 2011.
I've done enough engine replacements to know this problem first hand.
I have a 2012 NZ new for sale by the way.

The earlier cars also have a  intake manifold that fails resulting in a check engine light. Whole intake manifold replacement needed. Not badly priced from overseas.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

schattenblau

get a mk6 edition 35 which uses the older EA113 belt drive motor

or save for a mk7

;D

avi.m

Good to know 80 vert, thanks. I'd prefer a 2012, but even so it sounds like a good idea to get the chain and tensioner done.

Schattenblau, I have considered the ed35, which would make more sense coming from a Pirelli, though prices are holding (for lower mileage ones) and slightly above budget.
Mk5 GTI Pirelli Ed.

McDoof

You should be able to pick up a MK7 GTI for around $20 -22k with some negotiation skills on your side.
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

avi.m

Really?? From a dealer, and with relatively low to mid mileage (up to 75k)? Gotta trade in my Pirelli Ed, which makes negotiating a bit of a challenge. Besides, I doubt that my negotiating skills are that good, if at all..
Mk5 GTI Pirelli Ed.

avi.m

Thanks schattenblau, I've seen those two dealer ones. Sliver one looks awesome.
Mk5 GTI Pirelli Ed.

Naekyr

With some negotiation, should be able to find a 2014 GTI for $25k or less as long as you're not in a hurry.

like these - especially the black one, looks like it's stood there for a while so the manager will be keen to move it.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/volkswagen/auction-2159755480.htm?rsqid=320ccd167dd34f16b915eaf6b4674f36-005

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/volkswagen/auction-2376530557.htm?rsqid=320ccd167dd34f16b915eaf6b4674f36-005

Personally I always negotiate, I've never bought a car at the advertised price.

Best deal I ever got was a car advertised at $24k, in the end the price dropped to $21.5k and they added 3 year mechanical warranty, cut and polish and ceramic coating - this took nearly a week of talking every day to the sales manager.

JaseNZ

Hmmm what is the QH and TKS button don't think I have ever seen those there before.

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding : Ice cream man , Ice cream man

avi.m

Wow, now that is a deal Naekyr! Care to share who the dealer was, if you don't mind? I'm not going to wave your deal in their face or anything like that, it is just good to know where to go for great service.

Anyway, thanks guys for the advice. I've decided to hold on to my Mk5 GTI until I find something within my budget that I really like. 6R in grey or Ed35 in white or grey with ~75000km is what I'll be on the lookout for, but not right away.
Mk5 GTI Pirelli Ed.

schattenblau

good decision, imho the mk5 gti was the peak of gti-ness,

i prefer a good one to a mk7.

;D

McDoof

Quote from: JaseNZ on November 11, 2019, 12:26:28 PM
Hmmm what is the QH and TKS button don't think I have ever seen those there before.

What is that really?
TKS for quick flash of the hazards (thanks)
QH for a quick flash of the headlights?
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

JaseNZ

Why would they be on the console though never seen it like that before.
Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding : Ice cream man , Ice cream man

avi.m

Yeah, definitely non-standard center console buttons. I tried google, and these don't come up anywhere.
Mk5 GTI Pirelli Ed.