Mk5 GTI at 110000+ km

Started by avi.m, November 11, 2019, 06:48:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

avi.m

Hi guys

With my Mk5 Pirelli Edition approaching 114000km, I was thinking of upgrading to a Mk6 GTI, but given my budget and the value to trade in, it seems like holding on to her might serve me better for now.

I've owned her since 2014 when she had ~48000km, I'm the one and only NZ owner, DSG service done early at ~51000km with the next one due at the next service in 5 months, cambelt done at ~89250km, PCV done at last service about a month ago, and always serviced within 10000km. Mods wise, just the usual springs and alloys, and that's about it. No tune, but she goes extremely fast and is great fun, faster and more fun than an ED35 and 8P S3 imo.

Anyway, I just wanted to know what preventative maintenance I can do at this stage to get at least another 35000 km of awesome driving? If I keep her, then I'd be looking at a paint refresh, decent rubber (PS4 - great deal on at Hyper atm), stage one with intake and aftermarket DV, and DSG service to begin with. A brake upgrade would be nice too. What else should I take care of before the tune and just in general on a +100k km Mk5 GTI? An engine/carbon clean? Mounts and bushings?

Any feedback will be much appreciated.

Regards,

Avi
Mk5 GTI Pirelli Ed.

Alittletuningco

Keep the DV as either a RevD or RevG oem unit, they perform better than aftermarket units.

Change your cam follower - for $65nzd and 40 minutes work its really a simple preventative fix.

If you are worried that the engine mounts are on the way out and will need replacing - fit aftermarket units with stiffer rubber to stop engine flex - https://www.alittletuningco.nz/products/alt-034-509-5001

Intakes are pretty easy to fit and even better when Black Friday starts in juts over two weeks - https://www.alittletuningco.nz/products/alt-ieincb4

Likewise for tuning offerings (Black Friday deals coming) - https://www.alittletuningco.nz/collections/ecu-tuning/products/alt-iesovc11

Brett

Hi Avi,

Where are you located? If in Auckland I'd be happy to show you what a stage 1 or 2 ED30 goes like(same motor as yours).
The stage 1 car is software alone and the stage 2 has CTS intake & 3" turboback exhaust

I've had Elite Motorsport NZ tune my MK5 GTI, ED30 and my dads ED30 and love the results.

Regarding the DV, definitely stick with the OEM revision D.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like more info

Cheers
Previous:MKIII Golf GL, MKIV Golf GTI, E36 325i, E36 323i, B5 S4 sedan, C32 AMG, B5 S4 avant, BMW 740iL, MKV Golf Gti 2dr.

Current:
Company car
Weekend toy-2007 Golf Gti Edition 30

ERRRNO

Quote from: avimistry on November 11, 2019, 06:48:39 AM
Hi guys

With my Mk5 Pirelli Edition approaching 114000km, I was thinking of upgrading to a Mk6 GTI, but given my budget and the options and the value to trade in, it seems like holding on to her might serve me better.

I've owned her since 2014 when she had ~48000km, I'm the one and only NZ owner, DSG service done early at ~51000km with next one due at service in 5 months, cambelt done at ~89250km, PCV done at last service a month ago, and always serviced within 10000km. Mods wise, just the usual springs and alloys, and that's about it. No tune, but she goes extremely fast and is great fun, faster and more fun than an ED35 and 8P S3 imo.

Anyway, I just wanted to know what preventative maintenance I can do at this stage to get at least another 35000 km of awesome driving? If I keep her, then I'd be looking at a paint refresh, decent rubber (PS4 - great deal on at Hyper atm), stage one with intake and aftermarket DV, and DSG service to begin with. What else should I take care of before the tune, and just in general on a "higher" mileage Mk5 GTI? An engine/carbon clean? Mounts and bushings?

Any feedback will be much appreciated.

Regards,

Avi

If you're after a great deal on tyres and in Auckland then I'd go see the team at Tyre Tech, Wairau. Tell them Arno sent you and show them the deal from Hyper.
They will beat it no questions asked.

Stick with the stock diverter valse, RevG/D they both are good for stacks of boost.

I can send you a DSG service kit for $150 using Liqui Moly 8100 oil and Mahle filter. Definitely recommend doing this service! If you need a guy who can carry the service out, I can put you onto one. (Auckland & Christchurch)
He can also do your carbon clean for great pricing.

In the name of affordability I would leave the mounts until they need replacing. In saying that these cars are getting to that age where the rubber starts deteriorating. If you do find yourself needing any bits feel free to message me for a quote on parts - I get great pricing.

As for the tune, Elite Motorsport NZ (my business) does a full health check prior to tuning. Make sure your air filter is nice and clean and change your fuel filter if you haven't done that recently.
The file is built for your car and the condition its in, so no guessing and hoping it is happy with the software.

- Arno 021 321 570
Black 3door Mk4 TDI - Elite Motorsport Hyper miler
Tornado Red Mk5 2.0 TFSI Variant - Elite Motorsport Stage 2
White Mk6 GTI DSG - Elite Motorsport Stage 1

avi.m

Quote from: Alittletuningco on November 11, 2019, 10:15:54 AM
Keep the DV as either a RevD or RevG oem unit, they perform better than aftermarket units.

Change your cam follower - for $65nzd and 40 minutes work its really a simple preventative fix.

If you are worried that the engine mounts are on the way out and will need replacing - fit aftermarket units with stiffer rubber to stop engine flex - https://www.alittletuningco.nz/products/alt-034-509-5001

Intakes are pretty easy to fit and even better when Black Friday starts in juts over two weeks - https://www.alittletuningco.nz/products/alt-ieincb4

Likewise for tuning offerings (Black Friday deals coming) - https://www.alittletuningco.nz/collections/ecu-tuning/products/alt-iesovc11

I know that I have the updated DV, I checked a few years ago, I just can't remember whether it is D or G. I will definitely do the cam follower, though mounts and bushings are more of a preventative measure but the consensus is to replace when necessary. Good to know about the upcoming deals, I am certainly not in a hurry so will wait to see whats deals are on. Thanks.
Mk5 GTI Pirelli Ed.

avi.m

Quote from: Brett on November 11, 2019, 10:57:04 AM
Hi Avi,

Where are you located? If in Auckland I'd be happy to show you what a stage 1 or 2 ED30 goes like(same motor as yours).
The stage 1 car is software alone and the stage 2 has CTS intake & 3" turboback exhaust

I've had Elite Motorsport NZ tune my MK5 GTI, ED30 and my dads ED30 and love the results.

Regarding the DV, definitely stick with the OEM revision D.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like more info

Cheers

Hi Brett, I'm in SE Auckland, and I may just take you up on that offer once my schedule is clear. Thanks.

I don't mind going stage 2, I'm just concerned about the car being able to put the power down. I was looking at Michelin PS4, or do you suggest something else?

I will stick with the OEM DV, can't remember if it is Rev. D or G. I'll check again (a bit of a pain to read the text).
Mk5 GTI Pirelli Ed.

avi.m

Quote from: ERRRNO on November 11, 2019, 11:46:40 AM
If you're after a great deal on tyres and in Auckland then I'd go see the team at Tyre Tech, Wairau. Tell them Arno sent you and show them the deal from Hyper.
They will beat it no questions asked.

Stick with the stock diverter valse, RevG/D they both are good for stacks of boost.

I can send you a DSG service kit for $150 using Liqui Moly 8100 oil and Mahle filter. Definitely recommend doing this service! If you need a guy who can carry the service out, I can put you onto one. (Auckland & Christchurch)
He can also do your carbon clean for great pricing.

In the name of affordability I would leave the mounts until they need replacing. In saying that these cars are getting to that age where the rubber starts deteriorating. If you do find yourself needing any bits feel free to message me for a quote on parts - I get great pricing.

As for the tune, Elite Motorsport NZ (my business) does a full health check prior to tuning. Make sure your air filter is nice and clean and change your fuel filter if you haven't done that recently.
The file is built for your car and the condition its in, so no guessing and hoping it is happy with the software.

- Arno 021 321 570

Hi Arno, I'll PM you when I'm ready for the service and tune, say early December. How many liters of DSG oil does the Mk5 take?

Consensus is to stay with the stock DV, so this is what I will do. And I will do the mounts when necessary.

I appreciate the feedback.
Mk5 GTI Pirelli Ed.

LouieP

If you dont have the funds to get a 7, I would hang on to the pirelli and go stage 2 hpfp. There isnt a lot in terms of an upgrade to a mk6. The mk6 feels boring compared to a fast mk5. Post some pics up of yours, your dp is a tease  >:D
NZ New MK3 Golf VR6 3 Door

avi.m

I am considering stage 2, will depend on the budget as my priority is the health of the engine and transmission (carbon clean, DSG service, etc). What parts are recommended for stage 2? Intake, downpipe only or full, hpfp? What about suspension and brakes? Not looking to track, but can do with less roll and better stopping power.

Unable to upload a photo, getting message that the upload folder is full.
Mk5 GTI Pirelli Ed.

Alittletuningco

Only actually needs a downpipe to be classed as stage2 - this will be the bottleneck of the back pressure. The other hardware modifications are to help squeeze out all the available power/torque. Exhausts are mainly there for noise.

On the MK5 upgrades that you should consider if you want to tighten up the drivetrain/suspension - H&R lowering springs, sway bar, engine mounts.

For brakes, a good set of pads, and some good brake fluid is all that is normally needed (unless you are going to track the car).

avi.m

Quote from: Alittletuningco on November 13, 2019, 10:32:46 AM
Only actually needs a downpipe to be classed as stage2 - this will be the bottleneck of the back pressure. The other hardware modifications are to help squeeze out all the available power/torque. Exhausts are mainly there for noise.

On the MK5 upgrades that you should consider if you want to tighten up the drivetrain/suspension - H&R lowering springs, sway bar, engine mounts.

For brakes, a good set of pads, and some good brake fluid is all that is normally needed (unless you are going to track the car).

Thanks @Alittletuningco, then DP it is, and intake for induction noise. I've read that an hpfp is required for stage 2+, and stage 3 of course.

She already has H&R sport springs, which improved the handing quite a bit. Will look at front and rear sway bars, and replace engine mounts when necessary. Brake pads and fluid is what I've read before for street use, so will add this to the list.
Mk5 GTI Pirelli Ed.

avi.m

Just a quick update:

After much deliberation, I finally decided to hold on to the Pirelli Ed, which is now stage 2. The upgrade in performance and just the overall change in character is more than I could have imagined. She is now a true beast. To those who are contemplating stage 1, 2, or even 2+, my advice is to just go for it. And if budget allows, definitely go stage 2, as the intake and exhaust really livens things up.

Anyway, thank you to everyone who provided their insights and experiences, and a special thank you to all the tuners on here. It is great to be part of such an awesome community.

Happy holidays, and be safe out there!
Mk5 GTI Pirelli Ed.

The Red Warrior

avi.m

Mk5 GTI Pirelli Ed.

LouieP

Quote from: avimistry on December 28, 2019, 10:27:09 PM
ESP
Nice one, saw the write up on their fb page. What sort of power did it make at the wheels in the end? I noticed that you had it walnut blasted while it was in? If you dont mind me asking, how much did they charge?
NZ New MK3 Golf VR6 3 Door

avi.m

Quote from: LouieP on December 29, 2019, 10:44:07 AM
Nice one, saw the write up on their fb page. What sort of power did it make at the wheels in the end? I noticed that you had it walnut blasted while it was in? If you dont mind me asking, how much did they charge?

The charts and numbers are atw, so 275whp. Massive bump in midrange performance, and pulls hard all the way up. Yeah, got the carbon clean done, I'll pm you pricing.
Mk5 GTI Pirelli Ed.

avi.m

I see that the number of views keeps going up, so I thought that I'd summarize the preventative maintenance for a Mk5 GTI with +110000km and pre- stage 1, 2, or 2+. Bonus at the end is some basic information on the different stages of modification.

Service

The following items should be carried out/checked/replaced:
- Diagnostic Scan (remedy any issues)
- Cambelt and waterpump
- PCV valve
- Diverter valve (rev. D or G)
- Cam follower
- Coil packs
- Spark plugs
- Air filter (if retaining stock)
- Carbon clean
- Oil service
- DSG service and calibration
- Coolant service
- Brake service (incl. fluid flush)
- Motor mounts (engine and transmission)
- Drivetrain bushings

Tuning

Minimum items:
Stage 1 = tune
Stage 2 = intake, downpipe (decat or high-flow cat) and tune
Stage 2+ (aka Stage 2 HPFP) = intake, downpipe (decat or high-flow cat), HPFP internals and tune

Additional/recommended items:
- Performance brake pads and DOT4 fluid
- Lowering springs
- Front and rear sway bars
- Dogbone mount insert
- Anti-lift kit
- Throttle and turbo outlet pipes (normally stage 2 and above)
- Intercooler and hoses (normally stage 2 and above)
- Cat-back exhaust (resonated or non-resonated)
- Performance/sport tires

The above service list comprises of powertrain items only, it does not include other VW maintenance schedule items that may be required, and it is not intended to be a comprehensive service list. I am not a mechanic in any way, shape, or form, and the information above has been gathered during my research for my specific vehicle (Mk5 GTI DSG).
Mk5 GTI Pirelli Ed.